Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's good... it's going to be good.

So I started Grand Theft Auto 4.  I've started it once before (I know because I have a handful of achievements), but must have deleted it entirely since I had no save file at all.  I've been... enjoying it, but I feel like I need some advice from the community on this one.

I've never really played a GTA game before.  I watched one once, when it was cool to enter the cheat codes and shoot everything that moves.  (Side note: isn't it interesting how one of the most controversial aspects at one time in the recent past ends up becoming a standard?) But I've never tried one myself.

Something that I'm having trouble with so far, is the line between crime I make and the crime I'm supposed to make/participate in.  I'm assuming that eventually it will be part of the story, because the Mature content on this disc definitely isn't because of the bowling, but so far I'm not seeing it.  Does the game expect me to make my own havoc on top of what it's asking me to do? (i.e. running over people on my way to a coffee date?) It almost seems like if I want the true GTA experience, I need to already be a homicidal maniac, but I think I'm probably the most law abiding citizen in New Yor... I mean, Liberty City.  I stop at the stop lights, which I know seems like overkill, but the last time I ran a red, I murdered a dude walking his dog and slammed into a police car, and all I was trying to do was get back to my apartment to watch some TV.

Am I playing it wrong? Should I be crazier, or will the game bestow (from what I've read) amazing story on me as I go through it? Will Roman ever stop comparing the quality of his life in terms of how many big American titties he has surrounding him?

Signed,
Confused and Law Abiding.

2 comments:

  1. Having played GTAIII, Vice City, & San Andreas in their entirety, I suppose I'm qualified to weigh in here. I got GTAIV on launch day, played a few missions, did not get hooked, and just picked back up this past month. Having read all of the perfect 10 scores, I knew that I just had to stick with it a bit longer. All of that to say I'm not TOO far into it yet.

    I don't think you're playing it wrong. That's one of the cool things about these games; you can play however you want when you're not fulfilling a duty of your mission. Pretty much then and only then are you "forced" to act criminal. You've probably progressed far enough to see that a lot of the opening missions involve doing the bidding of some "boss" by knocking off small-time thugs or dealers. If you choose to use a hummer to get there and run over 50 people on the way, that's up to you of course, but you'll in no way benefit from it unless you stop and get out to see if they happened to drop a pile of cash when they died.

    But to actually answer the question I think you're asking, I'll use one spoiler from pretty early on in the game. The 1st time I ever really felt like a "bad guy" I had to go to a law office downtown, kill a lawyer that was giving some bad guys some trouble, and then blast my way out, mowing down security guards and cops to get back to the safehouse. It was actually a fun, fulfilling mission. I don't think that makes me a homicidal maniac though, and it didn't make me more likely to drive on the sidewalk during the game. That will always remain personal preference, and will add nothing to the experience unless it does something for you.

    Stopping at red lights, though? That's pushing it. It already takes long enough to get from point A to point B. Your view on red lights (& toll booths) will surely change soon, if not already. And no, I don't think Roman will ever stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Good input! I loved that lawyer mission and it's so weird, I just started playing this game again recently... you play it how you want. I run stoplights but I do my best not to run over innocent people unless I'm in a crazy chase and the cops are all over me. The missions will definitely make you do some messed up criminal stuff. The first time I killed a boss I had just been working for was pretty cool. Protecting Jacob while he hunts down dealers or getting in car chases and shooting up a bunch of cops are all in the near future.

    It is kind of your choice though, even in some missions, you can spare peoples' lives instead of killing them. I prefer being the antihero with some morals rather than a raving, homicidal serial killer who makes Dexter look innocent.

    ReplyDelete