Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Assassin's Creed 2 Review (or more appropriately, A Love Letter from 3N3MY)

It's been no secret to any of you that I have a very deep love for the original Assassin's Creed (AC). I love the open world, I love that the buildings aren't there as just eye candy, but rather are all climbable and have a purpose. I love the freedom to play it however I want and I even love the story (which has been met with fierce debate between Amateria and myself).

I just finished Assassin's Creed 2 (AC2) last night and consider me blown away. The game at it's core is relatively unchanged, but is much more fleshed out. A great way to summarize this is from something Lead Salad just said to me a few days ago about the first, which he is currently playing through, "It feels like a 2 hour game that's been stretched out over 12 hours." While initially I wanted to defend the game I had to agree that the game boils down to around 10 assassinations and that's it. Everything else you CHOOSE to do could be considered as fluff. I however did everything in the 1st and loved every minute of it.

The best way to describe the vast improvements to AC2's campaign is it's much more organic. It actually feels like a complex story. It's not go to this town, talk to the head assassin guy from that town, kill the target, come back. It’s about building relationships with others in the city, scouting out your kill locations and people, learn new skills, upgrade your weapons etc. When you get to a town feel free to explore it all and find everything and take your time, but when you want to get back to the campaign just go to the location on your map that's marked "Memory Start."

As far as the story goes, for those that don’t know, you’re Desmond Miles and you’re being forced to relive your subconscious memories of your ancestors that were old assassins. The company Abstergo, which is ultimately run by The Templars, is trying to find Pieces of Eden for some grand plan of world domination, but they say it’s ultimately to save the world. Reliving these memories through the Animus (the device that allows you to do this) will reveal to them where these Pieces of Eden are. The end of the first game was a bit of a cliffhanger that left you trapped in Abstergo with the Animus. There were a lot of unanswered questions with strange writing on the walls of your room.

The story in AC2 picks up exactly where the 1st ended and answers all questions of the 1st while giving you many more new ones (not going into spoiler territory). I was thrilled with the sheer amount of info in this game. Because of the Animus you have multiple stories going on at once and the amount of conspiracy in the game is staggering at times, but never pointlessly mysterious like LOST or Heroes. The game developers are truly unmatched when it comes to taking real history from across all recorded time and building a fascinating story of conspiracy about The Garden of Eden and the apple using historical text and paintings.

If you look hard enough in the game world you’ll find “glyphs” left behind by another Abstergo lab rat named “Subject 16.” Finding the glyphs unlocks puzzles and after you find all 20 and solve the riddles you’re treated to one hell of a sweet video that I don’t want to ruin for anyone by even talking about the subject. Needless to say there’s a ton of meat here and the ending….oh….the ending….it very truly creeped me the hell out. Of course I can’t say what it is, but rest assured your questions are answered and you get all new ones once again.

It was interesting to me that whenever I was pulled out of the Animus I couldn’t wait to get back in and Desmond seemed to feel the same as well. I felt like Jake Sully from Avatar. For me this was one of the more interesting and well thought out stories in a video game I’ve ever played and clocked in around 20 hours to finish it and that's doing virtually no side quests.

Other enhancements to the game are interactions with people and especially guards. In AC the guards would attack you for walking too fast which got very old, but in AC2 there is a notoriety meter and as long as it’s empty and you don’t do something stupid in front of them they’ll leave you alone.

Combat has been improved and is much more challenging while fighting some of the more difficult guards. Most of it comes down to timing, but who doesn’t like ripping a spear out of an opponents hands and running them through with it?

This review has gone on too long, but I can’t praise this game enough. It’s climbed comfortably into my top 10 all time favs list and shouldn’t be missed by any gamer period.

P.S. You have an uncle in the game named Mario and the first time you meet him he literally yells, “You don’t know who I am?! It’s a me! Mario!” I love this game.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I think what makes me most excited is when you say that you "learn new skills and get new weapons" because in the first game it seems like this wasn't incorporated at all. You do learn new skills in the first one, but I don't think any of them are necessary other than the counter move. Also, you never really get different weapons in the first, but rather just get your "damage" upped. You also told me that you can climb faster, which will be awesome.

    Are there still insane bums that shove you around in the second one? Those guys suck in the first one! They always push me and make it so the guards come after me.

    I also noticed that you already have 1000G for the game. Would you say the achievements are easier? Or if not easier, just less time-consuming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Climbing faster is def a good thing, but I kinda felt that when I did it cheapened the "holy crap I'm really high up factor," but it def speeds the game up.

    No bums in this one THANK GOD! I think I told you before, but there are now "Bards" that literally prance around with a Lute and try to sing to you. I thought I was going to make the whole game w/o killing one until my last 2 hours of play. I was tracking a target and the guy wouldn't get out of my face. *Hidden blade to the chest*

    As far as weapons, yes you can get a ton more, but I'd be lying if I said they were all necessary. I primarily still used the sword, hidden blades and smoke bombs. You do earn a poison dagger which is pretty effing cool and even...well I'll leave the last one out.

    Achievements are far easier mainly because there is way less collecting. Like I said I had around 20-25 hours total in it and unlocked everything.

    Plus, you get to hang out with Leonardo DaVinci as a young guy. Who doesn't want to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never finished the first game. :O

    I know, I know... it got a little repititous but I was still a big fan of it. Collecting 100 flags for a couple GPs was not worth it. I stopped playing because of one time mission where I had to kill 5 guys and when beggars and guards and everything gets in your way, it's not fun...

    I may have to check the 2nd one out though after this review...

    ReplyDelete
  4. well this review has certainly reaffirmed my desire to own this game and it's creeping up my "to purchase next list". really enjoyed the first one minus its flaws and really looking forward to seeing where they take the story.

    ReplyDelete