Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wolverine

So I've been playing through Wolverine and it's a suprisingly fun game. Kind of what you'd actually expect Wolverine to be in real life. A relentless killing machine that dismembers foes with the greatest of ease and fully enjoys taking his abilities to the limits.

It's been a good time for sure, but it can get repetative. The real time skin regeneration is flippin awesome! You see skin torn away and can see his skull and organs...so yeah that's awesome for sure.

My point in this post is that last night I got to a spot that was almost a game breaker....the fight with Gambit. The problem doesn't sit with Gambit himself, but rather the stage of the final fight. You're battling on top of these huge letters of a sign on the side of a skyscraper that break away at certain points in the fight. It's a pretty long fight and I think the 4th time you actually fight him before getting to this "final showdown." The problem kept occuring that when letters of the sign would fall and the game would glitch. Leaving Gambit a statue or trapping me on one side of the stage with nowhere to go, but down. The QTE didn't help either when these where going on. Bottom line is I was screaming at my TV because I had to fight him 6 times! Every time I had to restart because it glitched out.

Have you guys ever in your gaming lives run into a game breaking glitch? The last one that actually stopped me from playing the game further was Juniper's copy of the original Half Life for PC. Glitched out with no save point to revert to before the last boss.....took me many months to finally find out how to use PC lingo to hack the game and get to that point in the game.

4 comments:

  1. You mean besides the invincible tanks in World at War multiplayer? To answer the question, though...... I thought maybe Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 was crashing on me, but that just turned out to be my 360 breaking. Yeah, that was awesome.

    It almost sounds like you're describing a design flaw more than a technical issue like in old, crappy games where if you do something in the wrong order or something, you can't progress. In one of his more recent reviews, The Angry Video Game Nerd reminded me of one like this in Castlevania for N64. There's a part where you need to carry 2 items, but if you pick them up in the wrong order, you're boned and have to start all over.

    Another game I got stuck in when I was younger was Batman Forever for SNES. You get to a certain point about 5 minutes in....and can't go anywhere. I never figured it out until another AVGN review of "Batman" games came out and he describes how to go through it. It turns out that the controls in the game are just REALLY screwed up and you have to push SELECT and UP to grapple up to a different screen that you can't even see. Crazy. So, that's not really a glitch, just terrible, terrible, terrible design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably correct in saying it's a design flaw, but when I kept getting screwed over all I could think was "GLITCH!"

    That's nuts about the SNES Batman game.

    I should mention that that's the only spot in Wolverine that was at all a chore. Everything else has played beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Half-Life just needed a patch. I bought it on Steam and had no problem with any part of the game... but then Steam automatically patches and you don't have to go look for them... One of the upsides of buying digital copies that you can never resell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I confess that I've never completed Super Mario Bros. 3, something that I'm currently rectifying on my pocket emulator, but wasn't there something in the end of that game where it would freeze on you? Like when you were fighting Bowser, if you didn't do the right thing, there was some sort of time trap? Maybe my game just broke on me when I was 12.

    ReplyDelete