Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Growing up.

Something that has been weighing on my mind a lot lately is the simple fact of growing up and getting older. I just had my 27th birthday and I love video games more now that I have at any other time in my life. I feel so blessed to be married to the woman of my dreams that's pregnant with my son, Mason (lil' 3N3MY), working a good job and being able to play games as much as I do.

I've known a lot of guys that get married and lose gaming altogether. Their wives deem them stupid or a waste of time and money and put the kabash on the whole thing. My wife, Mrs. 3N3MY, understands that video games are an important outlet for me to unplug the mind and unwind after a day of work. She also gets that they're an important way to hang out with some of my best friends that don't live anywhere near me geographically.

I'm feeling sentimental about growing up because lately because I'm going to be a dad myself and I've had very little time to play much of anything for the last several weeks and I feel it's a trend that is only going to continue for many years ahead. It's not that I'm scared of this or dreading it, but rather view it as an essential part of "growing up" and being a good husband and father.

I work 40-45 hours a week. I'm taking 2 classes at Indiana University Northwest that give me between 10-15 hours of extra work a week, because I'm trying to get my MBA, and I'll be in school for the next 2 and a half years at least. I have commitments at my church for Small Groups (which are some of the highlights of my week because the people I go to church with are some of the coolest peeps I have the joy of knowing) and I have recently become an addition to the praise and worship band there.

During all this busy time I still find hours of time a week to play the games I love. It irks the hell out of me when people tell me that they think I don't play too much or that I could always play more when the people telling me this have very few responsibilities or bills to pay. Even as understanding as my wife is about me playing games it's more important for me to spend time with her and make sure I'm fulfilling my duties as a husband. What kind of a husband would I be if I just ignored her when I came home from work or school or whatever and played games till bed almost everyday? I get home late enough from school and everything else as it is.

I'm not saying that I'm the busiest or hardest working person out of anyone that reads this blog because I don't believe that to be the case. I'm just aknowledging my inability to play games as much as I'd like to or want to because of my responsibilities and obligations that come along with growing up. Does this make me a baby? I don't think so. I think it just makes me a guy realizing that he's not a kid anymore, but he'll always love his videogames.

7 comments:

  1. I don't quite know what to say. I'm truly sorry for the amount that I've busted your balls over the years, and as weird as it sounds, it's out of nothing but love, not being blind to the life you lead.

    I'm personally jealous of your ability to balance and juggle everything, and I deeply respect it. I can only hope that once I'm married and little Amaterias are on the way, that I'll be able to walk the line with the same level of finesse you seem to be able to.

    I've got more words to share, nothing of a negative nature, but they are hardly appropriate for such a public forum as this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hear you. I am blessed as well to have a wife who has not made me give up nerdy pursuits and gaming. She even listens to me when I talk about the most ridiculous stuff over and over again. Didn't even say anything when I had to replace my 360 yet again. She sees it as great that I can get together with buddies across the country to have some time to destroy each other.

    I have several friends who have been the unfortunate victims of getting rid of their former selves due to female influence. It is sad for them really, I look forward to gaming with my kids and taking them to movie premieres, and Comic Cons. Man that will be awesome!

    My only regret is that I can't stay up late enough to play more, but I would be a total zombie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Quaker and 3N3MY, I too am blessed with a wife that tolerates my... habits. I also work 50+ hours a week and rarely get a full weekend off. I go through spells of thinking that I play to much but every time that next game comes around my wife is FULLY supportive of my purchases. I cannot tell you how often I've heard from friends "we still don't know how you ended up with Ash", but I usually just tell them its because of my penis... isn't it obvious?
    But truthfully, I admit that I often think of how things could/will change when we decide to start having children. But, that's just part of life and I look forward to it some day... just not quite yet. Until then, I'll continue to balance Life, Work, Wife, and Video Games as best as I can. One things for certain, and my wife dreads it... I will make little gamers out of my children

    ReplyDelete
  4. A simple solution would be to not get married and game all you want...

    ReplyDelete
  5. And hardly worth it... right guys?! Right?!

    ReplyDelete