Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, February 25, 2010

iPhone What???

Today I fell in love with my Droid all over again. It is already the best phone I have ever had (for those that don't know me, I work in the wireless industry), but now it's even better. What made today so special is that I just installed a fully functional and working direct PC port of Quake 3. Ye,s the controls may be a bit wonky but for a PC game running at an average 25-35 fps (with sound!!), I would say that that this phone has some horsepower. It gets even better... the Multiplayer aspect of it is fully functional!!! I haven't played around with that yet, but I'm assuming it will only work over WiFi with is too bad cause 3g MP would be PHENOMENAL, especially since I have several friends with Droids.


This is not the first time I've tried messing around with PC games on mobile platforms. Doom is fully downloadable on the Android Marketplace and I was able to get Quake 3 to load the main menu on my old HTC Touch (but that was as far as I got).


Check out a video of the game in action here.


For instructions on how to do it, click here.


***Although I may be pumped about this, it still doesn't measure up to having Sunset Riders, Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, and A Link to the Past OR the 700+ NES games with me at all times... that was my little bragging moment***


Anyone else have a Droid out there?



UPDATE: decided to check if there were any active MP games and to my surprise it found OVER 2000! Granted, I would be pitted against a PC user but its still amazing it works over 3G too!!!! I was able to successfully load into one game but after 5 deaths in 30 secs I gave up.


4 comments:

  1. I'm gonna post on my own because I don't expect anyone else to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy now? that's really cool you can do that tho. my phone is mostly used for pron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. technology is getting too powerful... it will take over the world soon and enslave the humans...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How else would they get their energy after we blackout the sun?

    ReplyDelete