Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

PSP Impressions

I am the proud new owner of a God of War Ghost of Sparta PSP Bundle. I got it for Christmas and this is my impressions post.

After having had 2 Nintendo DS systems I have a good appreciation for what that system can offer and while I liked them both very much I never felt compelled to play them so they sat until they were sold. Considering that I may be doing some traveling in the near future for some time I thought a new handheld system with more versatility than the DS would be a good thing for me if I'm to be away from home. The only other natural choice is the PSP.

Before getting this one the other day I'd only held a PSP one other time. I only really know what I've read about it on gaming sites. It gets beat up a lot in The States as being 2nd choice to the DS and after the PSP Go launched the PSP has been considered pretty much dead ever since. The truth is that the PSP has some amazing titles (both new and old and in the future), is very functional and has a lot more to offer a gamer like me.

I bought a 16gb flash drive for 30 bucks on Amazon and am using that to store all my games on. Already I have Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 on it as well as Final Fantasy 7 and Tekken 2. As far as downloaded PSP games I have GoW Chains of Olympus and Patapon 2 on it. I also have several hundred songs on there as well.

On the seperate 2gb flash drive that came with the system I've loaded movies (a surprisingly simple process). I have The Fountain and Inception on it (I'm thinking Pan's Labyrinth next) already and they play and look fantastic on the PSP.

Okay so now on to the "Likes" and "Dislikes":

Like:

The look of the sytem is great and I really like the feel of it. It's a relatively light system and the D-pad and face buttons are awesome! I was happy to see and feel that the buttons are all quite pronounced. It's nice that it's a handheld and that the buttons feel like they belong on a console controller. Even the shoulder buttons feel more analog than the "click" of the DS. The D-pad is much better than the DS's pad.

The large screen is a nice change for a handheld and it's menus function almost identically to the PS3.

The joystick is surprisingly good. Even though it looks more like a "nub" than anything it handles precise controls for racers (Burnout Legends) very well. Now if it only had a 2nd one.....

It's a surprisingly powerful system. Playing GoW I was very surprised and thrilled to see that the game looked far better than the GoW HD remakes for the PS3. To pack such power in a handheld is still impressive to me. I know that the ipod, iphone and ipad are all great power wise, but I still find playing serious games on any of those to be a bit of a joke at this time.

The functionality with the PS3 should obviously be great and it is. I've tranferred all the PSOne games and a ton of songs to the PSP with just a few click of the buttons.

Web browser functionality with wifi will help me kill time when it's available. Connecting to the PSN from my wireless at home was very easy and browsing DLC and games is a breeze.

It's user friendly and that was one of it's selling points. I can't tell you how excited I was to be able to easily throw ripped copies of my own DVDs on it. Watching the ending of The Fountain on it last night still gave me chills.

There's a large catalog of good games to play. I'm really looking forward to diving into more JRPG stuff when I finish what I have already. The system doesn't have the Nintendo exclusives with all the endless Mario and Zelda stuff, but it's still very solid because the PSP is still a big deal in Japan. Kingdom Hearts, Persona and Final Fantasy: Crisis Core are all games I'm really looking forward to.

Dislike:

Battery life is a given for sure. I know that I'll be plunking down the extra cash down the road for the "extended battery."

I will never stop believing that the clamshell design of the DS is vastly superior to the PSP. It protects itself and the screens are always out of harms way. With the PSP if you drop it the wrong way it could be game over. I've already placed a great screen protector on it and the hardshell case I purchased is nice as well because it allows me to play it while it's still protected in the case.

Bottom line:

I'm very happy with my decision to get a PSP for Christmas. Having only really played with it for a handful of hours I can already tell I'm really going to love having it. Having a great console, movie player, music player and an (somewhat limited/lack of keyboard) internet browser all in one is a big deal for me personally. It's a solid machine with enough horsepower to give me modern day console thrills in a handheld because that's what I've been wanting with my portable all along.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you're enjoying it. I was in the market for one a while back, but it was mainly with the intention of getting older emulation to work on it. In some ways, I think the power of that console if totally wasted with it's current game selection - homebrew stuff on it has been nothing but incredible, and that's from an outsider's perspective - I'm not even part of that community.

    You should try to track down the Metal Gear digital graphic novel on the PSP. It was far and away the coolest thing I've ever seen on the console, but it's sort of a hard thing to find. I suggest goozexing it.

    For me, the DS is still king. You're totally right about the clamshell design, but more for me it's game selection. Nintendo has a better selection of portable gaming for my tastes at the moment. This might change with the rumored PSP2 (maybe confirmed at this point, I haven't checked lately) and it's mystical second joystick. Something that really turned me off with my time spent with a PSP was the lack of a second joystick for shooters. Not having that makes every shooter, regardless of graphics, engine, design, etc., play like Goldeneye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dumb. Go get your moneyback. The new one will be out in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want the new one. Not at the price it'll launch at and def not the 1st generation. If there's one thing to be learned from Nintendo, you never buy a 1st generation portable. Never.

    PSP 1000, 2000, 3000 and GO. The 3000 is the best so I'll use this one for a while and get a PSP 2 in a couple years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work...my psp has served me well, i'm currently running some niffty custom firmware on it which opens up a whole bunch of other features. have u tried Remote play via the PSP, pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete