Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, December 31, 2010

2010: A Good Year to Game

I mean that as kind of a general statement, as the industry put out a lot of quality titles. We got sequels, reboots, remakes, and even a few original games, too. Some barely got by and some made over a billion dollars. We got Microsoft and Sony trying to copy the Wii and steal the casual game audience (what a waste of time).

But on a more personal note, I'm pretty sure I've done more gaming this year than ever before. I was thinking about this earlier and it got me curious about just HOW much I've played this year. I took a look at my Achievement and Trophies lists to get a record of this and here's my list of games completed (for the first time) in 2010:

XBOX 360: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Castle Crashers, Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Red Dead Redemption, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, NBA 2K6, Half Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode 1, Half Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Alan Wake, Bayonetta, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Transformers: War for Cybertron, Street Fighter IV, Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing, Left 4 Dead 2: The Sacrifice, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Halo Reach, Vanquish, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Trials HD

PS3: God of War, God of War 2, God of War 3, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Resistance 2, Heavy Rain


I'm too tired to make a long list of awards, but I'd like to make 2 special "shout outs."

Shout out #1: Platinum Games just completely PWNED me this year. They made 2 of my favorite games of 2010, hands down: Bayonetta and Vanquish. Both games are so sharp in presentation, gameplay and style. It's just too bad they can't marry all that with decent stories, especially since (being a Japanese company) they just LOVE to use a boatload of cutscenes. I'll probably buy anything they make.

Shout out #2: Most addictive game goes to Trials HD. It's so simple, yet so difficult at the same time. The first time I played it, I said to myself, "I'm just gonna check this out to see what it's like." Two and a half hours later, I'm still playing trying to earn gold medals and beat friend's times. Plus, I got it on sale for 400 MS points. It's probably the best $5 I've spent on a videogame.


I'm curious what all everyone else played. Any special awards for anything?

2011 looks to be just as good, if not better, than 2010 (especially for the PS3 - LOTS of good exclusives coming up for Sony's machine).

Well, that does it for me. A late Merry Christmas......Happy New Year......and HAPPY GAMING IN 2011!!!

6 comments:

  1. You certainly played a lot of games. It's funny because when I really look back this year on all the games I played....nothing really is screaming out at me.

    Mass Effect 2 was awesome and I've really been enjoying Uncharted and God of War.

    I don't think that this year was short of great games, but there were a lot of good ones.

    I'm really looking forward to the new Castlevania, Heavy Rain, GoW 3, Shatter and Vanquish and if I still had the 360 I'd give Alan Wake a shot.

    Bayonetta was really good for sure, but ultimately unsatisfying to me personally.

    If I had to give a "shout out" to any game it would be the revamped Bionic Commando. Grin doesn't exist anymore, but that game was a great surprise in quality, action, difficulty and thrills.

    P.S. Glad Trials got you by the balls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to really think about what games actually fell into this past year. With several games launching at the very end of '09 I had to do some digging myself. I do, though, declare this the year of Assassins Creed.

    Games I completed: Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, Assassins Creed, Assassins Creed 2, Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, Dark Void, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Halo: Reach, Left 4 Dead 2, God of War 3, and Call of Duty: Black Ops.

    Awards:

    Worst Game of All Time: Final Fantasy XIII - I don't even want to start with this load of bullcrap. Glad I got it Brand New for $20, but I would have had more fun wiping my ass with that $20 than playing that game.

    Most Epic Game: God of War 3 - From the moment you turn the game on, its crazy and non-stop. Amazing, huge, and just plain epic levels make me a huge fan of this game. Just started to play through it again on the hardest mode (someone help me, God or Titan?)

    Game of the Year: Tie
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - has to be up there as one of the best shooters of all time. I know Skatch will back me up 100% on this statement too.
    Assassins Creed: Brotherhood - I know several of you out there are fans of the series but have yet to play it. I could not recommend it more. Take everything you liked about 2 and improve on the gameplay and mechanics. Then remove the grinding and you have Brotherhood. Take it from me, stop replaying all these old games and buy this one. Even if you haven't played the others, its worth it. I promise.

    I've got high hopes for this next year... possibly too high. But I do know that the hours of gaming will increase greatly with the massive amounts of time required by some of those launching. It was a good year, but I know this year should be even better. Until they start launching, I have Fallout: New Vegas and Batman: Arkham Asylum to get me through these cold, winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure the difficulties in GoW3 are Easy, Normal, Titan, Chaos.

    Haha worst game of all time is FFXIII, huh? Did you finish it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well.... i knew it was something like that.
    No I didnt finish it. And becausde of that I dont know if Ill trade it..... yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As to be expected, my year wasn't nearly as diverse as all of yours. My subtle New Years Resolution is to play more on my PS3. Uncharted 2, and probably playing through Arkham Asylum again on the PS3 are first on the docket.

    For me, Mass Effect 2 definitely stole the show. I would say the Borderlands DLC, but that definitely wasn't as impacting of an experience. ME2 rocked in so many different directions, and as a player who has difficulty finding steam and momentum in RPGs, I couldn't wait to get to the next part in every moment spent exploring galaxies with Commander Shepard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with brjahu! XIII was a huge disappointment. I've been a fan of FF since the SNES days. Though I haven't beat them all, I definitely put 100s of hours into Tactics, VII, VIII, IX, X, and XII. XIII was a big letdown...

    BC2 was amazing, still is. I'm not sure what time I'm at now but I think it's close to 6 days, 150+ hours into this game and Vietnam is just making me play more. I'm actually working on recording on my PC so I might start commentating and posting videos to youtube. For all the noobs who won't drop an ammo box when I request ammo 5 times while standing next to them. :D

    Black Ops is a decent shooter too. I'm still having issues with lag but I think it's my PC cuz none of my clanmates have the same problems. Borderlands, ME2, New Vegas, Civ V, and SC2 also took up more of my time.d

    But BC2 steals the show last year for me.

    ReplyDelete