Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Dead Space 2 Demo

I just finished it and it's officially my most anticipated game of 2011. Even up against the mammoths of Mass Effect 3 and Elder Scrolls. While those games will undoubtedly be astounding there's still something to be said of the more contained, less epic game that bottles down so much atmosphere, action and tension into a package.

I was thrilled to find (at least from the demo) that the overall Dead Space formula is very much intact. Audio plays a very large role still and the game mechanics are all still in place.

I was very concerned that Visceral Games would Resident Evil 5 the series and take it all the action and leave out everything that made the 1st so great. Talking to Lead Salad I did admit that they did change the control scheme ever so slightly to make it more "action friendly" then the original and it's a little bit of a bummer. For example, in the 1st game if you want to heal you have to pull up your menu and manually select health. In this one you just hit a button. Your stasis recharges automatically where before if you ran out....well....you better not miss your shots.

The brutality of the original was well on display here as well. From the camera perspective while fighting to the animations when your attacked it all still looks like it really hurts.

All in all I went from super pumped to official boner of the month for this game.

"Altman be praised."

7 comments:

  1. Maybe they'll decide that lag-aiming is not the way to go and actually put the cursor where you direct without a several second delay... similar to the controls of every video game ever made...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of bashing Dead Space constantly, why not just play it on your 360?

    That demo was sweet. Loved the Javelin gun. Fantastic audio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did play it first on my 360, which motivated me to try it on the PC to see if the controls were better. And it's hard not to bash a game which such horrendous control design, probably the worst of the decade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you're just bad at games? If you move the joystick your reticle moves with it. I don't understand how there can be a problem.

    I've beaten that game 6 times. 1st playthrough was 14 hours and the others were between 7 and 10. I've been playing through it again on PS3 just to get all the trophies again. I'd say I have well over 60 hours total in Dead Space. I've never had a single problem with the controls because there isn't one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a blog and we all have different opinions and that's the way it's going to be. I loved RDR where a lot of people hated those controls. I didn't have a problem with them and actually thought some of the controls were innovative. Someone on here hated Serenity, one of my favorite TV shows. And I can't stand the Dead Space controls.

    There's probably some games I'm madly in love with that everybody on here would hate or have a problem with. You don't have to play the games. Nobody cares at all about the fact that Diablo III may be coming to consoles, yet this is the one game, for me, that I've been waiting to release for over a decade now. This is a game I would wait all night in line for. It's a game I would pay a lot of money for a beta key for. Should I get offended and accuse people of being bad at games cuz they might not like the same games I do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Probably not, but your 2nd comment in particular seemed slightly trollish...slightly. You've well expressed your opinion of the controls and you've dumped more than your fair of hours into many games so your opinions are held in high regard.

    Was just countering what I perceived (obviously incorrectly) as a troll comment.

    I love you Juniper...and I don't know jack about Diablo other than it says "Blizzard" on the box.

    Merry Christmas everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to go back and try it again on the 360 when I have a chance...

    ReplyDelete