Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, December 3, 2010

My Very Own Black Ops Post

Alright, I figured I would chime in after playing for a couple of weeks. I have not touched the single player yet, but now have 25 hours into the multi. I started off pretty rough just due to lack of knowledge of the maps, lack of good weapons, etc. I did some combat training to learn the maps a bit and find some guns I like, which was helpful. I moved back into the multi and started playing pretty decent once I got the Galil and the Famas.

It can still be a frustrating experience for me just because I'm a pretty streaky player. I'll have a great game, then I'll play like garbage in the very next one. I'll have a great night of gaming, then the next night it'll feel like I'm using my feet to play instead of my hands. Well, this was a really crappy week for me in the world of Black Ops. I'd like to think it's because I'm sharing a really spotty hotel internet connection, but I can't say for sure. I mean, I don't play this bad at home. Other than the questionable connection, two HUGE frustrations have reared their heads this week......

Number 1: The Knife. Ohhhh, the knife. Of all the things wrong in Call of Duty, this has to be Number 1. Sure, there's no Commando perk anymore, but the knife is still beyond busted. There are still times where players will do a short lunge, but those are very few and far between. The biggest problem for me is when an opposing player and I both run around a corner at the same time and kinda run past each other. When this happens my instinct is to turn and shoot, while the real solution (in a Call of Duty game, anyway) is to mash that melee button. Even if you knife the air, you get the kill for it. I watch the kill cams and sure enough, their knife hits nothing but air, yet I die. It makes no sense to me. It really makes me angry. I think Bad Company 2 has the right idea with the knife. In that game, it's basically for use ONLY if you've managed to sneak up on a guy, due to the fact that it takes a good 2 or 3 seconds to go through the knife animation. I also like Unreal Tournament's use of melee weapons. That is, they're pretty much a non-issue unless you go to the trouble of pulling out your Impact Hammer and charging it up for 5 seconds and actually getting close enough to a guy to use it.....which never happens. Too bad I could NEVER play a lag-free game of Unreal Tournament III because I love those games. In summary, the knife in Call of Duty can go to hell.

Number 2: Weapon damage. Is it just me, or are the weapons in the game too weak? Is the hit detection okay? I feel like the game sometimes gives me hit markers when I'm not really hitting anything. Case in point, I was using the Commando gun and had to get six hit markers to kill a guy. Yes, SIX. Granted, I was at a distance, but six hit markers? I wasn't shooting through walls, so that shouldn't have been a factor in "weakening" the bullets down or anything. There was also a time where I shot a guy with my M16 from pretty close distance (20 feet or so?). I hit him with 2 solid bursts from the gun, in the chest/neck/face, and got NO kill. I couldn't even count the hit markers on that one. The M16 has one of the higher damage rankings, too, so....I'm just really confused about that one. I've got both of these instances saved in my file share for any 360 users that are interested in seeing them. The obvious solution to this is to switch over to Hardcore mode, but that doesn't really work for me, either. I like the rules (no radar and higher gun damage) but for some reason that translates into a massive camp fest. People just lay prone and point their gun at a doorway. I can't even move.


Alright, that's about it for me. Like I said, I had a really crappy week with the game, but I'm not ready to give it up or anything. I'll try again when I get home tonight. I'm hoping that connection had something to do with my poor performance. Or maybe I just suck. But I really don't think that's true.

1 comment:

  1. The so-called "stats" are garbage and I've found that they can't be relief on when figurig out weapons. I just run with some and see what happens. The AUG and the AK-47u (with rapid fire and steady aim) are both excellent choices for regular mode. The AUG burns through the magazine quick but it seems to lay people down pretty quick at short to medium range. The AK-47u with steady aim means you never have to look down the sites and it mows people down quick too.

    However, I usually only play hardcore and I rarely play TDM. I play mix servers or HQ, DOM, CTF, DEM, or SAB. People still sometimes camp but I just do better in hardcore servers. Maybe because I usually get the drop on people but in regular, like you said, the damage feels weird or "off". And in hardcore, you can run almost any gun you want. It can get lame at times, when someone gets a chopper gunner (which should be nerfed big time) but still fun.

    And when I get really sick of it, I go play Bad Company 2 and the 4 new maps we got for free... :D

    ReplyDelete