Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Donkey Kong Country: Returns

As the only person on this blog (correct me if I'm wrong) who has the resourses to even play Donkey Kong Country: Returns (DKCR) I decided to write up a quick break down. 

Loved:

The Nostalgia - oh my goodness, Retro nailed it here.  The original Donkey Kong Country worked me over from every angle.  I got sent a VHS tape in the mail pitching all the hype from Nintendo, I got it on Christmas, something that never ever happened in my family with new releases, and I played it until I couldn't any more... then continued to play and look for secrets.  This wii-make captures the essence perfectly.  Music, style, humor, dialogue, opening, etc.... good stuff.


The Difficulty - in a time and age of video games that seems to have a trend of games getting easier and easier, this game is tough.  Not just for a Wii game, but for any game.  Retro really raised the bar a few feet on this one, almost to a point that I think this game might alienate a little bit of the Wii's fan base.  As a culture of gamers, I think we've gotten to comfortable overall with the ease of our games.  I know that most games have difficulty modifiers that make the game next to impossible (Bioshock without vita-chambers anyone?) but that leaves the difficulty of the game up to the player, not the designer.  I bet most of us could count on one hand the amount of current gen games that are intrinsically difficult, with no option to make it easier or harder. 

Step in the Right Direction - DKCR isn't perfect by any standard (keep reading), but it is a solid step in the right direction.  It shows that a series can be revamped without cloning it's old self, but still retaining the core feeling. It shows that not all Wii games need to be built for morons.  It also shows how the Wii can sidestep some of it's graphical limitations to still deliver on an impressive front.

Cranky Kong - "I can't say I expect to see you again, but you might get lucky, I guess..." Brilliant. 

Hated:

Forced Motion Controls - DKCR affords the player a few different options for play.  One uses the remote and nunchuck, a favorite for those who just love to wiggle their arms all over the place, and the remote on it's side ala NES style.  I definitely opted for the classic type, thinking I would be able to run, jump, pound, and late-jump with the same ease I did in the SNES days.  Although a majority of the simple mechanics are still intact,  the more complicated moves by Kong are done with subtle gestures, even playing in classic mode.  The ground pound (a definite favorite mechanic here) is not executed by holding down and hitting a button, but a shake of the remote.  The forward rolling attack/cartwheel aren't exectued by a direction and a button, but a direction and a subtle shake.   There are only a few instances where the shaking of the remote feels like a natural choice for motion controls.  It almost makes me wonder if Retro wasn't allowed to use the older mechanics, or encouraged to go a "fresher" route than the oldies, in order to draw in the newer, less jaded, Wii audience.

New Moves - Remember the move in the original Country games where Kong knelt to the ground and used his Kong breath to blow away dandelions and flowers to solve puzzles? Me neither...

Where are the Kremlings? - Maybe they were too edgy for Nintendo's family friendly image, but I miss the Kremlings as antagonists.  My guess is that they were tied up in copyright stuff with Rare, but that's all conjecture.  The Kremlings made awesome baddies... they didn't fit in the world, were obviously counter to your goal, and made some sweet noises when you killed them.  The new baddies are these tiki drums that hypnotize and possess the creatures of the world to do their evil banana hoarding bidding.  The saddest part to me will probably come later upon completion, when I don't get to run through the Krem-co industrial levels, far and away my favorite levels and music from the original game.

Evaluation:

I would highly recommend this to any Wii owner who is looking for something fresh and a little more challenging.  I think it was doubly challenging for me, due to the fact that I am constantly needing to fight against my natural instinct to get Kong to do some of his more complicated procedures. (still haven't quite figured out the late jump timing.)  It's a must by for anyone who's looking to the Wii for nostalgic appeal as well - DKCR doesn't disappoint.   It definitely rounds out my collection. My only wish would be for a patch that allows the player to play with the classic controller or something.

(This experience was playing through the first three and a half worlds, in single player. DKCR supports simultaneous cooperative play with two people, as well.)

3 comments:

  1. I've got a Wii in my arsenal of consoles but it's been sitting in a box since i completed Zelda, i keep meaning to get round to picking up some of the gems that are on it (Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid series) and now this...i like the sound of it, loved all previous DK entries so by the soudns of things i'm sure to enjoy this...however i've such a mas sive back log of games i want on the 360 and ps3 already i cant really see it taking priority over those. Nice review tho, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, nice review... maybe I'll rent this when I have access to a Wii... the SNES DK was a great game...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the review! If I had a Wii I would def make this game a priority! I never had a Super Nintendo, but I have played throught the original DKC several times.

    Glad that Retro is still awesome and I'm with you that Nintendo probably forced the motion controls on them. They don't want waggle to seem like a tacked on thing afterall.

    ReplyDelete