Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

When will SEGA get with it and die?

Sonic The Hedgehog has been raped....a lot. The raping has been given to him by none other than his makers and I for one just want everything Sonic to die.

I can't stand seeing him in every game SEGA shoves out it's doors anymore. SEGA's games, while not all bad, have taken a huge hit in quality since the fall of the Dreamcast.

I bring this up now because I just read this and it severely annoys me. On top of that I read an interview, in GameInformer, a couple months back with one of the top guys from SEGA talking about their past failings and how they want to do better. I thought the interview was great and it excited me at the time, but I just don't think SEGA has the ability, desire or guts to stop sucking.

All their Marvel movie game tie ins are garbage. They don't have to be bad. An Iron-Man based video game could be really awesome, but good luck trying to get them to put in the effort.

What's even more annoying is that at the same time Sonic 4 released a fan made HD remake and updated visual style of Sonic 2 was released for free and it was made by 2 guys and it's far better visually than what SEGA pushed out.

SEGA publishes some good games, but they don't make them. Games like Bayonetta, Vanquish and the awesome Condemned series are fully realized gritty games with a lot of heart and effort put into them.

I guess I'm just tired of SEGA getting a free pass because they're SEGA as shown in the last line of the linked story:

"Despite years of setbacks, we're willing to give Sega the benefit of the doubt."

How many more years will we keep buying their crap? At least when Nintendo whores out Mario and Link they put in a great effort.

If any other game company put out this many poor games they'd have sunk years ago.

Quit cashing in on nostalgia and make something new and good or when you make a retro Sonic make it longer than a couple hours and don't charge 15 bucks for it.



7 comments:

  1. Ok I kind of agree with u that its being overdone but I also know that some people still really enjoy the newer sonic games. My lil brother still LOVES these game and has played probably every newer sonic game almost half a dozen times through. The older generations like us don't like these games much anymore but kids still love them and that's who they are appealing to.

    And I totally disagree with you on mario and link... I have played most of the newer zelda and mario games and I still think they are awesome. It would be nice to see some new games from nintendo with new characters but the fact that they still use their strong list of characters is refreshing. I like how they continued to develope them rather than toss them aside like other companies like to do... this is just my opinion on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the saying out there, that there is only like 15 different stories to tell? Everything else is variations on those?

    Games, I believe, could be part of that same trend. What stuff out there hasn't been rehashings? Even the most innovative and creative FPS out there is still, at the end of the day, an FPS. Could a non-player even distinguish between Black Ops and Goldeneye? (Besides of course, which one looks more real.)

    I think it's the progression that is killing/killed Sonic. Whereas Mario and Zelda have taken the good stuff from their games, tapped into, and reimagined the same simple formula time and time again, Sonic attempted to break away fro the stuff that made their games fun in the first place. And it seems that as time goes on, we see more and more attempts from Sega to grasp what makes their stuff fun.

    It's just unfortunate that it's happening to what could be considered one of the classic videogame icons. There are plenty of games on the market that don't succeed because they don't really understand what makes their game fun to play, but those aren't as tragic as the rise and fall of Sonic.

    I haven't played it, but am curious about Bioware's Sonic RPG on the DS. Although probably terrible, Bioware is made of some respectable guys... it's weird to see them crawling into bed with the blue rat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amateria: I totally agree that Nintendo took what worked and tweaked it a little bit here and there, but they did evolve their games (to a degree) and kept making them excellent.

    As much as I may love to bash Nintendo they make a quality game and product. I would like to see some fresh ideas and IPs though.

    You're also correct on FPS, but like you said, it's more tragic cause Sonic is a gaming icon.

    Silent: I wasn't bashing Mario and Link. I was applauding the fact that though they've been around for over 20 years and they are still compelling and well made. It's just shotty handling of the franchise that killed Sonic.

    I still think the most amazing reimagining of any game ever is Metroid Prime. An almost flawless game in this writer's opinion.

    Resident Evil 4 gets a strong nod from me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol I just misunderstood your comment my bad. I wish that sega wouldn't have failed with the dreamcast... it would be interesting to see what changes there would be in todays gaming systems if sega still produced systems...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm not sure any of us really disagreed in this post. It's just a matter of who wants to publicly profess their love for Nintendo the loudest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could "like" Junipers comment.

    ReplyDelete