Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sony can kiss my ass...

Two years ago I bought a PS3. I bought that PS3 because I had finally given up on my fanboy-rage over HDDVD's demise and I was able to snag one for the same cost as a BD player (at the time). Side note: I had put a ban on all movie purchases till then too... yeah, I'm a freak.

ANYWAY, the first BD movie I bought was Sunshine. For those who haven't seen it, you obviously hate America. It is, a phenomenal movie and has a demo-worthy audio track. Getting to my point... my wife is gone, and had some time to kill so I threw it in. As the movie starts the PIP featurette pops up and I cannot get the damned thing to go away. Finally, I hit the forums and discovered that Sony, those bastards, blocked some JAVA coding in the PS3 and other Sony BD players as a "security fix". Because of this, Sunshine, which uses JAVA for it's BD features, bugs out and it is impossible to watch it without the PIP. Sony has acknowledged the issue but since October when the issue first showed up, there is yet to be a fix. The only solution I have found is to contact Fox and see if they will issue a replacement disc.

I just got off the phone in an attempt to contact Fox, but of course, they are unavailable until Monday. Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed off. I'm already in a pissed-off mood and not being able to watch on of my favorite movies just pisses me off more.
So, from the deepest depths of my heart and with all sincerity... Sony, your products are shit and you can kiss my ass.

*this post was written with love from a Sony Vaio*

5 comments:

  1. Sunshine was a good movie.

    Is this coding an issue for other BR players or just the PS3? What is the PIP?

    It seems to be a trend in the industry these days for companies to "push" the envelope of who owns what property and what they can do with it... from claiming you actually don't buy games to inteferring with owner's PS3's, etc. I don't see how something like this would fly with any other product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: Just tried it on my Vaio and... same issue. The funny thing is that as soon as I put the disc in the player required an update. So it is definitely a Sony issue.

    The PIP is some set walk-through. You know it's annoying when in the opening scene when they are eating, the PIP pops up and a woman starts talking about the Induction Heated Stovetop... dumb, REAL dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really lame man. Sorry to hear that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've watched Sunshine in my PS3 twice and have never had a problem.

    It's def one of my all time favs.

    Sorry for your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try it again. It has only been since the 3D update which, I believe, was last October.

    ReplyDelete