Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Help Wanted

I've already shared this story with 3N3MY and Lead Salad, but figured I would toss it on here to see if anyone else has had this issue or knows the cause/fix. I have already hit up the inter-webs and found quite a few people with this or similar issues but nothing has been helpful.

Situation: Uncharted 2 has issues of freezing, audio dropouts, and system resets. It started last night when it required an update to 1.o9. It froze on the 'please wait' screen and eventually my system beeped and reset. My quick fix was to delete the game data file (not saved game), and fully power off my system. It reloaded and took the update. Received one additional error when trying to load 'live sync' for MP but just tried again and it updated. Enter this afternoon. I decided I wanted to play through the game again. After a little while all the sudden the dialogue dropped and the music was skipping leaving me with just sound effects. Come to find out, it didn't fully load the maps and I was able to walk through doors and outside the map. From that point, I tried to exit the game and it froze, beeped, and reset the system. I then proceeded to repeat the above steps. After 25min of re-updating my game, it froze on me again while re-updating MP. This final time, I powered off my system, made sure my disc was clean, and pressed and held down my power button, which I believe does some sort of reset. Loaded the game, loaded MP and played a round with no issues. I loaded a couple of cut-scenes and they played fine. Called it a day.

I have tried out a couple of other games since and haven't had an issue. Any ideas? Everything I've done is what the people on forums said to do. The other is that it could be a laser diode issue, but I have NO problems reading BDs and that is a constant read, unlike games. I think it's just a faulty, sub-par, over-priced system ;)

My system:
- PS3 Fat 20gb
- upgraded to 160gb HDD
- system fan does run a lot due to upgraded HDD (my old laptop drive that ran HOT)
- system is a remanufactured purchase from eBay 2 years ago.




3 comments:

  1. My suggestion....get a Wii.

    I don't know, man. I've never come across anything like that on mine.

    You made it sound like you fixed it though right?

    I use this religiously to help keep air moving. Variable speeds and it runs right off the PS3 USB.

    http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Mobile-Fan-External-Cooling/dp/B00080G0BK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301318584&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you mean like my homemade version:

    http://yfrog.com/gzr1z6j

    ... or with a little modification, I could upgrade it to this:

    http://yfrog.com/h3z617j

    ReplyDelete
  3. strange one indeed. you did exactly what i would of suggested and held down the pwr button on reboot, i think it resets all the video and sound set up, actually thinking about it I think it makes the PS3 perform like an auto recognition for settings...perhaps that was the issue and it's helped flushed out the problem.

    ReplyDelete