Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

PSN Security Breach

I'm sure you've all read it by now, but the reason the PSN has been down is because someone hacked it and had the ability to steal tons of info.

Basically Name, Email, Address, Screen Name and Password.

I already changed all my passwords and took the liberty of reissuing the card that was on file.....just in case.

I'm upset that it took Sony so long to let us know what the real problem was. Also, I wish I knew more about the infrastructure of internet security stuff like this, but this is a big deal to have this happen to them.

Did they have good security stuff in place that just got beaten? Did they make a crap security system? I don't have the answer to this, but I'd like to think it was a good system that just got beaten by a bunch of hackers.

It seems that no matter the latest and greatest.....the mouth breathers will always find a way.

Or PSN is full of holes.

5 comments:

  1. It sucks. It's really bad news for them, as I've already read multiple articles, comments, etc and some people have lost their trust in Sony completely. The fact that it happened and that it took them 7 days to let people know has some people very upset.

    I, too, know nothing about internet security and all that. I wish we could find out the details but we never will. Releasing that info would be lose/lose for Sony. If they had good security that just plain got beat then they look like noobs. If they had crap security then they look lazy and like they don't care about their customers.

    Thankfully, I never gave any card info to Sony. And it took over 3 years for me to finally enter my card info to XboxLive. I had always used points cards bought in stores up to that point, but I renewed my Gold subscription thru the dashboard in February. I was slightly uncomfortable doing it then, but a little bit more now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think letting on what happened would be lose/lose. Coming clean earlier would have been a little bit easier to write off. Who really does know anything about internet security? How many times does stuff like this happen all the time that we have no idea about?

    It's unfair to get mad at a company because they were a victim, but it is really uncool that it took them so long to let people know what information was let out there.

    Penny Arcade actually addressed the issue pretty well. It's no longer a feature to have a network connecting you with other gamers - it's par for the course. Losing this, and not letting people know what was going on, is a double blow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully PSN comes back online soon so I can use my credit card to buy the new Culture Club DLC coming out for Rockband next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we are in the last days of free PSN. I think a paid service could lead to better security and quicker response times in the future. With the exception of PSN+ and some of those MMO game users, I truly don't believe Sony owes us anything. Its a free service, that we don't fund in anyway. It was flawed, it went down, and 99% of those affected have no say in it since they don't pay for it. Only IF anyone's CC gets used does it become a different issue. Until then, it sucks, but all we can do is deal with it.

    ReplyDelete