Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

NSFW

So, the other night, I was sitting along by myself.  The wife wasn't home, and I was feeling a bit... frisky.  I made myself a quiet dinner, and just sat around waiting to see what the evening brought about.  Man, was I surprised... I retreated to the bedroom and slipped into something a little more comfortable to the occasion.  I lit a couple of candles and put on some Kenny G.  The part next though, was definitely the most surprising.

I turned on my PS3... the symphonic melody of the OS loading just sent goosebumps down my spine.  Tingling with anticipation, I slipped in Uncharted 2.  I got lost in the excitement when I had to update my software.  I hopped into the multiplayer lobby and was totally blindsided! Another update! What are the odds?

After finally getting into a match, I was getting the hang of everything, and hanging on everything!  It's seamless continuation of the campaign "feel" is something that other game designers should take note of.  It takes advantage of the PS3's raw power and puts it to good use.  Textures are usually something I breeze over without noticing, but in this case, that was a good thing.  "Interactive" wall objects blended in seamlessly, encouraging me to run, jump, and grab at whatever I could.  As I fell in love with the world and weapons, I couldn't help but ask myself, "why is this so good?"  This isn't on the 360... who am I?

Needless to say, my evening went differently than I planned, but I feel better for it.  A little dirty, but better for it.  My favorite part really, was how I felt comfortable going it alone.  Groups are always fun, but sometimes... it's good to have a little alone time.

4 comments:

  1. LOL! A bit frisky? :D

    Is everyone switching to the PS3??? Should I get rid of my 360 and turn to the dark side? Or is that the light side?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the voyeuristic formatting of reviewing stuff isn't going to work.

    In any case, I really liked the mulitplayer on Uncharted 2. Really well done, consistent, clean, and easy to jump in and out of. It wasn't... addicting, but was fun to continue playing because it worked so well. It's been a while since I played any mulitplayer that gave me that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UC 2 mp is a very fun time. We've run into a few guys that play it like chodes, but the verticality of the game is awesome.

    At least every game doesn't boil down to a shotgun match.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been waiting to say this:

    I told you so.

    ReplyDelete