Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Open Discussion

I was reading on a few sites about the current outage of the PSN.  Normally I would just laugh a little to my self, mutter a little "you get what you pay for", and move onto my 360, but I wanted to play Uncharted 2 multi! I'm also not quite sure about to address the paying issue as... Most people don't pay, but what about PSN Plus members?  In any case, the whole thing stinks.

It was interesting to read though, that some people out there are theorizing that the "external intrusion" story might just be a cover up.  I think it's cute how people online play detective, but one of the points had some merit.  Recognizing that the internet is made up of quite a few lies anyway, what would a hacker gain from lying?  Most of the time, the hacker, or at the very least the identity of the hacker, wants to be known. The whole idea behind maliciously stopping someone else's service or business is merely for the sake of doing it.  These geeks hacked the PSN, not a banking website...  Sony has a lot more to lose by not saving face.  On the one hand, I would like to hope that a publicly recognizable company would feel the obligation to be honest with their consumers, but really, a random three-day outage is not something Sony needs.  I haven't read the latest numbers, but I don't think PSN members are close to approaching Live. (I tried the research on this one, but the numbers are way to skewed... PSN's free accounts make it so hard to track, and of course, all the companies are going with their largest numbers, regardless of how they are inflated.)

Is it make or break for most consumers? Probably not.  My TV service goes down occasionally, but I don't mind in the long run.  Maybe it's because I'm not in a service war between AT&T and Comcast...  Maybe I'm just tempting fate, but I can't think of a time that Live went down for multiple days.  The last outage I remember was actually when the NXE kicked off.  Is my memory too short?

What are your thoughts? I don't necessarily mean with the quality of the PSN vs Live, but from any angle.  Should 360 users consider this a notch in their belt? Should PSN users even be allowed to be upset that their free service is down?  What about the games that require network connectivity to be played - should developers be restricted to do that? Is anyone going to be on sometime soon to play Uncharted 2 with me?

12 comments:

  1. On the "you get what you pay for" thought: I admit that it's what I've thought these last couple of times that the PSN has gone down. It does really suck that it's down, especially on a holiday weekend, but complaining about something that's free just seems wrong. I don't really think that argument holds, though, as there are a number of PAID services on there, including Netflix, MLB.TV, and PlayStation Plus. When the PSN goes down, all that goes with it. It's my opinion that if you're going to agree to implement all these applications into your network, you have to be able to sustain it better.

    I don't remember a time when LIVE has been down except for the planned outages of the NXE and then updating that again for Kinect support.

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/4/22/it-only-doesnt/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+pa-mainsite+%28Penny+Arcade%29

    ReplyDelete
  2. And like Amateria, I've been wanting to play Uncharted 2 multi lately. I also wanted to try out some Mortal Kombat online and put in my code to unlock the Classic Sub-Zero outfit and Fatality. Denied!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that griping about a free service being down is in poor taste. Something about not biting the hand that feeds you....or gives you free online MP. I do agree though that Playstation Plus (me) and Netflix (also me) sucks a little extra, but again the main service that provides it all is free.

    As far as LIVE going down I couldn't tell you the year, but it was a Christmas 3 years ago or something where LIVE was flooded with tons of new people and it didn't recover for almost 2 weeks so.....yeah.....LIVE isn't perfect. At least they gave us a free Arcade Game!!!! (that none of us ever played)

    Anyways these hackers have already attacked the PSN in the past so why wouldn't they do it again? They've also crashed Amazon and several other huge entities so thinking that LIVE would be able to withstand the rage of a bunch of mouth breathing neck beards is absurd.

    I've read that the hackers, Anonymous (Anon), say that this wasn't them, but I've also read that one of them admitted a few weeks back that tons of them act independently of each other so it's not one organized group of cellar dwellers doing the attack and one can't speak for them all.

    All in all this just makes me hate hackers more and more. Just because you cripple PSN for a couple days doesn't mean they're gonna cave to your childish demands. Maybe if they were a much smaller company, but come one....this is SONY. They've been around a long time and a bunch of basement fappers aren't going to make them change their minds when it comes to them not wanting people stealing their shit.

    I'd love PSN to be fixed too, but bottom line is it's not Sony's fault. It's a free service. And the Acne Fupas gotta die.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think PS3 users are entitled to gripe a little about this one. I hadn't considered the paid services that run through the PSN. that puts a different perspective on it, and it really sucks.

    Sony also uses it's free online as a selling tool, almost as if it's a function of the console. It's listed among the perks of owning one like it's a controller included in the box. Someone who bought the system to play online for free should feel a little gypped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a hard one but I think I lean more towards the non coomplaining side. Look at it this way, when your power goes out for multiple days does NIPSCO reimburse you for the inconveince? Nope. Also the xbox live service did go down around the christmas cod4 came out (I was so pissed lol) I think this group of hackers is ridiculous and they seriously need to grow a pair and start buying games like everyone else in this world. Also it looks like the service may be down for awhile. This was just posted by playstation's official blog:

    We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security. We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not to defend hackers but usually hackers "hack" something and then brag about it so everyone knows. Could still be them but Anonymous is claiming they didn't do it. At least, claiming it wasn't an organized effort. Could be individuals but didn't it take a group effort last time to shut PSN down?

    I believe it's Sony having problems and letting the blame fall on the hackers... just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even if this is a fully implemented Sony shut down (which I don't feel it is) it was more than likely done to beef up security to keep it from happening in the future. So in my mind that still puts the blame on the hackers.

    Again I agree that it sucks and it is a selling point, but getting upset at this is like someone slashing your tires and you being mad at Honda for not being able to drive your car! I bought this car to drive! That's the point of this car and now I can't and it's Honda's fault for not properly protecting my tires!

    It'll be back online eventually so I'll just keep playing MK, Portal 2 and Mass Effect 2. It's not that big a deal to me personally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But I want to play Uncharted 2! What about me?! ME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, I haven't been able to find the source link, but Anon did take credit for the attack. According to the deepest site I could find, it was something that they half regret too... Sony was their real target, not the gamers, and this attack really missed the mark on who it was really hurting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. IGN just put up an article about the outage. Nothing new, really, but it was interesting reading the comments on it. Usually one of their articles will have 300-500 commments, but this one had 1700+. Surprisingly, most of them weren't 360 fanboys mocking the PSN. The majority of them were PS3 owners claiming that Sony should give them something free. That's probably not happening, but one idea that I thought was acceptable would be for Sony to have a big sale on the PSN store for a few days once it's back up. It couldn't hurt them, and it would be better than nothing.

    I remember during Christmas 2007, when everyone got Call of Duty 4. It made matchmaking in that particular game pretty difficult, but I don't think the entirety of Live was down. Maybe you guys are thinking of a different time, because I don't remember getting a free arcade game out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that the sale on PSN is a fair deal. Everyone wins?

    I don't think you had your 360 at the time, but it was the Christmas maybe 2 years after it launched and when a million or so new people hopped on LIVE it crippled the service.

    It wasn't just matchmaking in one game, but the whole thing. Couldn't get on LIVE or when you did you had non-stop connection issues.

    Basically Microsoft wasn't ready for the huge surge in new users and it crashed their servers. It was a good 2 weeks till all was back to normal.

    It may have just been me and brjahu that had one at the time, but LIVE has been pretty solid since.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It may have been the year call of duty 3 came out. I didn't have an xbox at that point. I remember the outage that Salad was referencing, but not anything longer than a couple days of connection troubles.

    Not withstanding, I still think it's a little different... it's not like Sony's network went down because too many people were enjoying it. Not that it makes it any less fortunate. I want to play the Uncharted multi so bad... the grass is always greener, right?

    ReplyDelete