Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Damn Ubisoft and their dumb UPlay.

I got the newest Prince of Persia about a week and a half ago because the whole series is a lot of fun. I've had some problems with the game.

First of all there are several rather large glitches. One is a game breaker if you don't know how to fix it. You basically get to a spot at the end of the game and if you die there you just keep respawning there because that's where the autosave last saves and you die and die and die. Many people had to restart altogether to get around this. Turns out the fix is to delete the autosave from your memory and fall back on the "backup autosave." It's annoying, but at least it's fixable.

Another glitch is where you rank up parts of your character and after saving and quitting and turnign the game back on all your stat points are either gone or redistributed. There is no fix for this. You're just SOL.

My glitch is the worst. The game hasn't been giving me any stats to even upgrade. I played the game for over 3 hours and the whole time it's telling me "You've earned another XP point! Hit the 'back' button to redeem." Every time I do this it shows I have "0" points. When I try to spend one it confirms that I don't have any to spend. I delete all my saves and start over....same problem. I delete it all again and start over again...same problem. It's actually worse this time because for some reason the game has some "ghost" memory of where I was at XP wise and starts leveling me up from my initial playthru and it's STILL not giving me points. I finally broke down yesterday and called Ubisoft. I talked to a guy by the name of Brian who said he's only heard of this happening to one other person and that Ubisoft is aware of the problem and is working on it. Turns out it's the Ubisoft UPlay feature that broke my game. UPlay is a feature in newer Ubisoft games that gets you more content for playing the game and admittedly has some kinda cool stuff in it. Anyways, one of the rewards in the new PoP is 2 automatic skill points. I guess me redeeming that reward broke my game because UPlay is still in beta.

Bottom line is that I'm boned. A game patch won't help me because it's UPlay that's broke and it's been in "beta" for over a year already. How much longer will in be in beta? The PS3's Home service has been in beta for almost 3 years now.

I asked the Ubisoft guy if he could just refund my purchase and he said there's nothing wrong with the game and that if I just play under a different profile it will work fine. Retarded. I want to play under I 3N3MY I. That's my gamertag and that's what I paid to play on.

Currently I can't find a way to delete UPlay from my gamertag and from what I've been reading on the internet there isn't a way to do it. My only other idea is to try to attach my UPlay to a different gamertag so I'll be trying that at home.

Pray for my patience.

4 comments:

  1. They actually expect you to make another profile just to play their game? That is some pretty crappy customer service right there... That sort of crap really makes you want to not buy said company's games.

    And if it's only happened to one other person, should it really be that hard to refund a couple people's games? Or at least offer them something?

    Ubisoft must be in league with Comcast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I successfully switched my UPlay account to another gamertag, but the glitch lives on.

    I'm trading PoP on goozex for 1000 points. I'll pick it up again WAY down the road after problems have been solved. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gotta say i love the the PoP game series also and half considered getting the latest installment until your post, definate wait and see for me..sounds like one i can probably miss out on. Just wish they'd do a sequal to the cel shaded one, that was alot of fun, best since the first one on PS2 (sands of time)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the cell shaded PoP was a lot of fun. Played the hell out of it two times thru and got the DLC which had some pretty big platforming elements. The only downside was Nolan North doing the voice, but yeah, stellar game.

    ReplyDelete