Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

GameCube

Is there anyone out there that still has a soft spot for this system? I don't mean Nintendo as a whole, but this actual system?

I've been wanting to play Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and The Two Thrones before playing the new release "The Forgotten Sands" and since the 360 doesn't play those two I decided to get them for the Cube.

I broke it out last night and got it all hooked up and got my TV settings just how I like them to "help" the picture some and all in all it doesn't look that bad....especially compared to a non-upscaled PS2.

Anyways, I started messing around in Metroid Prime and I had a rush of adoration for the console. From how comfortable the controller was in my hand to the sound of the menus to the tiny discs. This was actually the console that shoved me into modern gaming thanks to Lead Salad my sophomore year of college. He knew that I loved my N64 and was a huge Resident Evil fan so he literally brought me to his room and said, "play this." It was the amazing remake of the original Resident Evil on the Cube. Then he really wowed me when he put in Metroid Prime.

That year I got a GameCube for Christmas and even though some time later I felt betrayed by the same system I played the hell out (damn you to hell Super Mario Sunshine) I still love my GameCube.

Great GameCube games that have and will always remain in my collection:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Resident Evil, RE 2, RE 3, RE Code Veronica, RE4
Metroid Prime
Super Smash Bros: Melee
Wind Waker
Ocarina of Time and the Master Challenge

I love you GameCube. Especially since every time I break you out of your mess of a box that has a PSONE, PS2, 2 Dreamcasts and a Turtle Beach headset....you work like new.

7 comments:

  1. Amen! I do love my gamecube. Probably not as much as you since I picked it up retroactively, but I've gotten some great times out of it.

    I actually made the effort and tracked down the digital AV cable for it (not the component cable, it's different!) and it's amazing how good the cube looks on an HDtv. Most of the games are set-up to progressive scan and it's stunning to see how good this older system can look.

    Wind Waker, Viewtiful Joe, Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, and the Mega Man Anniversary collection are the ones I've got that keep it around.

    If I wasn't so committed to getting through Assassin's Creed 2 right now, I'd definitely bust it out and rock some RE:4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All Nintendo consoles, with the exception of the Wii and the Virtual Boy, are excellent.

    I really enjoyed the Cube also. Like you said, that controller feels amazing. It's still probably the most comfortable to hold. The d-pad is small, tho, and the Z button is just....strange.

    Rogue Squadron 2 was the launch title. Loved it. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was my intro to that series, continued on with many hours of THPS 4 in college with 3N3MY. The Resident Evil remake debuted on the Cube, along with Resident Evil 4 (what a weird choice for Capcom). F-Zero GX=awesome. And of course, Metroid Prime and the swan song, Twilight Princess. Oh, and I really enjoyed Mario Sunshine, too. It strayed from the formula slightly (oh no!!!) and turned some people off because of it. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About Mario Sunshine. I truly could have cared less that they changed the formula. I just thought the game sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you could have cared less, then why didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well consider me caring a lot less right now. I care so little that if I cared any less (which is impossible btw) I would actually start liking the game a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sony stole me from Nintendo with the PSONE and FFVII. They kept me around with GTA III for the PS2. The reason I own a 360 instead of a PS3 is due to the price... well, AND the release of GTA IV on both consoles. My "career" with Nintendo ended with the SNES.

    ReplyDelete