Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, May 7, 2010

Assassin's Creed 1 and 2

Author Note: This is written more in love than frustration.

This needs to be brought out in the daylight. Amateria hates, mocks and despises Assassin's Creed. Why wouldn't he? I mean he played the 1st one for at least an hour.

I'll admit (for the 100th time) that the 1st game got repetative, but I still played the hell out of it and it's a phenomenal game IMHO. The 2nd game is nothing short of breath taking. Everyone on this blog that has played it loved it. Juniper told me it's the best sequel he's ever played. Lead Salad told me he wished there were more hours in a day to be able to keep playing.

Saying that you didn't get the story you were promisd in marketing material is incredibly dumb. That's like saying The Sixth Sense sucked because Bruce Willis was a ghost all along! The "twist", if you could even call it that, takes place about 5 minutes into AC and is NOT a game breaker. In fact I have always felt and argued that it enhances the game and allows for a much richer story across several generations of assassins, the AMAZING conspiracy stories in the 2nd game and allows you to experience what Desmond Miles experiences coming in and out of the Animus.

I've been right about so many amazing games that you mocked or didn't give a crap about until you FINALLY came around to playing them. Half Life 2 (which you still haven't fully beaten), Mass Effect and even the show Arrested Developement and Wes Anderson are just 4 examples off the top of my head of things you never wanted to get into when they were recommended to you. After you play them or watch them you talk about how great they are and those of us that played them a year or two ago are just left saying, "We told you this a year or two ago."

Bottom line is you're wrong about Assassin's Creed and those on this blog that have played it will tell you it's amazing and that...well...you're wrong.

6 comments:

  1. The first one did get old. I put a lot of time into it and (shoot me) still need to finish it. The 2nd one was AWESOME! My brother rarely games, if ever, and he loves the assassin's creed games, haha. I bought the 2nd one for him on PS3 and he played it a bunch.

    But yeah, those games are great. 2nd one was amazing. I've never seen a company fix everything that was wrong with the first one while adding a bunch of cool, new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 are the best games ever made. They are prime examples of how a narrative should be structured. I actually can't think of a story that couldn't be improved using AC format.

    - Finding out at the beginning of Star Wars that Vader is Luke's father.

    - Having Bruce Willis reveal that he's a ghost at the beginning of the Sixth Sense.

    - Knowing who the killer is at the beginning of Psycho.

    Putting the climax before the characters are introduced... that's a new one.

    I apologize, I had a shitty day and coming home to this blatant attack was a whole lot of fun. Thanks.

    (By the way, I've heard it argued that Assassin's Creeds main story arc that encompasses all three games *does* follow a more traditional storytelling approach, but that either makes Ubisoft awfully arrogant, or it means that each individual title can't stand on it's own.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess MY beef with YOUR beef is that what you claim is the climax of the game is really not. It's not MEANT to be a surprise that you're reliving your ancestor's memories. That's why they tell you at the beginning. In the first game, both Altair and Desmond have their own stories going on with their own climaxes, which do come late in the game. If they had you play out the last chapter in Altair's story first and give away what's really going on, then yes...that would suck hard. If they told you what Abstergo really is and what they're after at the beginning of the game, then yes...that would suck hard.

    Hell, I don't even know if I would recommend the first game, due do its repetitive nature and how you keep getting pulled out of the Animus after every mission to hear Nolan North whine. However, the 2nd is amazing (according to the majority on this blog AND every review I've ever read - quite a few).

    The bottom line is that I would hate for you to miss the experience due solely to the fact that Ubisoft decided to structure their narrative in a slightly non-traditional manner. Does every story need to be structured the same way? Since you used movie examples, here's a couple of films that have strayed from tradition and found great success: Pulp Fiction, with its crazy timeline and episodic structure that uses multiple characters and interweaves them all together (considered by many to be one of the best films...ever). Memento, with its timeline going in reverse chronological order AND with flashbacks mixed in. Who ever would have thought THAT would work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For what it's worth, I wrote my beef out of frustration after a crappy day. My sincerest apologies.

    In all honesty, Assassin's Creed was always one of those games that I wanted to force myself through, just to do it. Assassin's Creed 2 was one I really wanted to play, but just don't have the time. We'll see if that changes, but Bioshock 2 is also on the queue.

    And also for the record, it's not necessarily that I think all narrative should be structured traditionally, but it doesn't feel like it was done with tact in Assassin's Creed. The aforementioned film examples are wonderful, but they were planned well and executed with similar standards. I have a feeling that the Animus future thing was added late in the production time line to create a solid promised sequel, which would explain why the Animus sequences were so jarring and unexpected in the first game (for me.)

    And I don't think you got me into Wes Anderson. We just fell in love with it together at Life Aquatic.

    ::kisses::

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I think this post came out a lot crappier than I intended it to so apologies for that as well.

    I remember the voice actor for Lucy (Lead Salad's girlfriend), Kristen Bell, accidentally let the cat out of the bag that the you spend the game reliving past memories of your ancestors almost a full year before the game launched during an interview. In the grand scheme of things it wasn't even really a spoiler because you're told about it 5 minutes in.

    As far as Wes Anderson goes I first saw Royal Tenenbaums freshman year with Lori and her roommate. I don't think you saw Life Aquatic till my senior year and I didn't even see it till I had almost graduated. Whatever....Mr. Fox is tits.

    ReplyDelete