Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, February 14, 2011

When playing feels like work...

Alright, so the title of this post is probably a little misleading, because in truth, I'm talking about actual work... like a job or vocation.  There are games that feel like work, and some games require a great deal of effort to get through, but I'm talking very specifically here.

Working at a game store, I get privileges to check out used copies of games to try out.  This not only allows me to expand my tastes, but also inadvertently makes me more knowledgeable to what else is out there, so I am able to speak/sell confidently about products that I may not have purchased myself, otherwise.  I used to love to take advantage of this, but lately (and by lately I mean, the better part of 18 months) I've just felt so burned. I spend all my energy at work talking about games, getting excited about upcoming titles so that customers will share in my excitement, that when I get home, I don't feel like playing... nothing new, anyways.  I always have my constants I go back to, but I go because they are familiar, and don't require any effort on my part. Halo, Pokemon, Zelda, Mario, Call of Duty, even... fun titles to be sure, but in reality, these are the games I trust.

In short, anyone know where I can get a new job, if for nothing else so I can enjoy gaming for gaming's sake again?  Ir is it all like this no matter the career? I have plenty of friends who game almost exclusively in multiplayer on COD, and their careers have nothing to do with games.  And when I talk to them about why/how they play what they do, it all seems laced with similar undertones like my own.  After a long day, something familiar and comfortable is a more natural choice than something new and unknown, as beneficial as the unknown may be....  Food for thought.

Side note: I've started reading the new Halo novel, Halo: Cryptum, which is the first part of a three book series surrounding the forerunners.  As lost as I am in this world (seriously, not much makes sense yet) I am enjoying it, aside from one detail I don't ever expect to have worked out - why would the forerunners call themselves that? The story (so far) has been written in the first person perspective of one of the forerunners interacting with some humans, but he refers to himself and his species as forerunners... I haven't read all the Halo novels before this one, but am I missing something?

5 comments:

  1. I definitely get what you're saying about playing feeling like work. I had this feeling after a couple months of renting games from Blockbuster. It hit me hard last month when I was playing thru Spider Man: Shattered Dimensions. It's not really a terrible game at all, but it's not great, either. The whole time I was playing it, I wasn't enjoying it 100%. I felt like I was playing it just to play it, as if it's my duty to play all the way thru every game I rent. Since then, I've quit renting from them, just because it spread me too thin. I'm going to try to focus more on playing what I already have more thoroughly, since those are the games I really like.

    As far as the Halo books go, it's probably just an oversight on their part. Those books are really only for big fans of the games, and they're full of mediocre writing and, shockingly, typographical errors. I guess the editor was out to lunch for all those books. When reading through the first book, I actually highlighted every typo I saw and it was crazy how many yellow marks ended up in my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attemped several times to get a job at EB Games/Gamestop over the years. I had an interview 7 or so years ago when I graduated college. And I worked at Best Buy over a holiday season several years ago... their whole culture just ruined working around movies and video games. I'd trade social work for working with games (except at Best Buy) any day... maybe because I could talk about games all day.

    But anyways, I know what you guys are saying. Sometimes you try and push through a game just to finish it. This year in particular, I'm attempting to focus on finishing games I own and buying a lot less. Since I don't rent, I buy up front or wait and trade on Goozex. I've become big on quality over quantity and sticking to familiar franchises and titles is a great idea. You know if you buy the new CoD/Halo/whatever game, you'll sink plenty of time into it as opposed to some new franchise...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Salad: It doesn't feel like an oversight. They use the word "Forerunner" a great deal. It feels like I don't understand it, and maybe that's the point. Concerning typos, I don't mind. I've never reely been much of a gramar snob any ways.

    @Juniper: "I'd trade social work for working with games... any day." I like my job, don't get me wrong, and I self admittedly know nothing about your vocation or what it takes to succeed... but I think you have the more honorable profession here. It is fun to geek out about stuff you enjoy, but it's really draining (which was kind of the subject of my post!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I understand. It's probably every job that can get draining. I enjoy working with kids but some of the people we encounter who abuse their kids and/or the things we hear about child abuse really starts to wear on you.

    Maybe it would sort of "ruin" the fun of playing video games for me but working around something I'm passionate about would be awesome. Of course, then it could easily turn into a "job" and I'd be where you're at. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I can't talk from the point of view of working at a games store I've def felt like games can be work. Mainly it's my own doing while achievement/trophy whoring, but even games that I want to finish just to finish (Matt Hazard anyone?) can make me feel like I'm rubbing my eyeballs on sandpaper.

    As far as the HALO books I've always found them to be a good time. The last one I read was "The Cole Protocol" and it was probably the weakest one I can remember. "Ghosts of Onyx" was bonertastic!

    ReplyDelete