Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Playstation Plus

Alright I'm going to say it and I expect to get some heat for it, but oh well.

I'm a Playstation Plus guy. I know I've shouted from the rooftops about how crappy the XBOX Live Gold Membership is, but Playstation Plus actually seemed like a good deal and honestly....it's a phenomenal deal.

I got it after I read that article I posted a while back that got me called a "fanboy." In it the writer said that Playstation Plus is a lot like Costco or Sam's Club. It's a subscription based service where you get a ton of stuff discounted or totally free. If you're not aware it's $50 bucks a year.

Already I've gotten over $100 dollars worth of stuff for free and I've had it a month.

Below is a list of what I can remember/find on my PS3 that I've gotten for free. Keep in mind that this isn't a total list of free items. They are always taking stuff out and putting new stuff in.

All 5 Sam and Max episodes = $35 bucks/This is a series I've always wanted to try.

Lead and Gold = $15 bucks/I wanted this game since it launched. It's like a 3rd person Team Fortress

Digger HD $10 bucks

Mini Games: Karimogi, Hero of Sparta, Fieldrunners, Pipe Madness and A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks! $10-$15 bucks and all are playable on my PSP as well.

PSOne Games that are all playable on my PSP: Spyro the Dragon, Spyro 2, CTR: Crash Team Racing $21 bucks

Possibly my favorite download just happened.....Stacked, the new Tim Schafer game. $15 bucks.

Add in over 10 themes that are $2-$3 bucks a pop and I've more than earned my money back.

The thing that bothers me is that I didn't sign up sooner. Originally, the Wipeout HD game was free so I can only imagine what else I've missed cause that game is $20 bucks.

True you have to keep Playstation Plus year after year to always keep the games, but this is just the tip of the iceberg and it's already huge savings. Now a lot of the games I'm too busy for right now and not to mention the stuff I haven't got cause I'm not interested or cause the games suck, but this is the type of yearly based subscription I can get behind. A "club" with a low cost compared to what you get....especially when it's something I'm interested in, I'm looking at you Live Music player on LIVE or 1vs100 or ESPN Redzone.

I also just read that Sony is in the works of allowing Playstation Plus members to back up their harddrive saves to their servers in a "cloud" based system. This is good news cause if my drive ever fails I'll be covered.

This post is an absolute mess so sorry for the poor format and errors and all, but I only had a couple minutes to squeeze this out cause just seeing that Stacking was on there for free just gave me a big hard one.

P.S. There's always half priced deals on here too that aren't available to everyone else.

15 comments:

  1. I simply look at Playstation plus as this: If you spend money, you get to save money and they get you to spend even more money. Thats it, and until this cloud-based save is launched, there isn't any other benefit. (yes there is also Huluplus if you pay for it, and betas). For someone who hasn't ever purchased a thing from the PS Store, there isn't a single benefit for me. It only benefits a very small market of those who actually purchase full games.
    With Live, you spend money to play games (yes, you get that free on PSN... for now) Netflix, ESPN (which is amazing btw), party chat, etc. You can purchase things regardless so you aren't "saving" anything from purchasing a Gold membership.
    I look at it from the stand point of perks. You get a ton of extra features with Gold. With Plus you just save some money IF you purchase things... and even then, its not on every game.
    So look at it this way. If you didn't pay $50 would you have still purchased those games? Maybe some, but not all. So, by them "discounting" games, you just allowed them to make more money. It's a great business model, but I still give Live the one-up on this. There needs to be more perks to make it a worthwhile purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cloud = awesome

    Steam offers it on the PC and it's one of the coolest things ever. Don't have to worry about saved games on your HD or being able to play a game on a different computer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brjahu: I totally agree and understand what you're saying, but you know me well enough to know that I buy a lot of crap from xbla and psn so for me it's truly a win win. I get to play more games and while a lot of them I prob wouldn't have dropped money on originally I do now get to play them as part of this package. It's a good deal for this gamer and I'll keep you posted on the cloud stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juniper... I finally started messing around with Steam and have seen the light. The whole setup and concept is great. Now, I don't have any real games (just a few free ones), but I wanted to see 1st hand what it was like. Add me: brjahu, and maybe we can play one of these free games sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since everyone has been pretty civil so far, I'll go ahead and say something a little "meaner": You can justify it any way you want, but the fact is that you essentially just paid for another year of XBL, except it's even more of a waste of money since you don't NEED to pay to play on PSN. It's a big plus of the PS3 and you just pissed it away. Answer HONESTLY...how much of the stuff you listed would you have actually bought individually? Oh, and keep in mind that none of it is "free," since you paid $50 for it and you'll have to keep paying $50 a year to keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Steam is amazing! I've even bought some old games just to have them on Steam so I don't have to worry about tracking physical copies.

    I'll add you, brjahu!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salad: What the fuck man? Seriously, someone's still upset that I ditched my Box and needs to get over it.

    We were having a decent discussion where I admitted that the system wasn't perfect and that I knew you guys wouldn't agree and you throw in some shit because giving me the silent treatment for close to a month already wasn't childish enough.

    It's fifty bucks of my money and YES it's worth it to me on the PSN because even though there's a yearly fee it's worth it to ME! Are all the games awesome? No, no fucking way. Are there a lot of good/decent games on there that I'd love to play that I wouldn't pay full price on for every individual one? Absolutely and that's why I did it.

    Fifty bucks a year for just online and some gay corporate add ons is a rip off IMHO.

    Call it "fanboyism" or "hatred towards 360" or just plain old "retardation," but I love the PS3 and what it offers. I love that it's 5 years old now and developers are STILL figuring the thing out and it has tons of room to grow where on the 360 end....I think we can all agree it's muscles are fully flexed and we've seen all it can do. Not that there still won't be great games for it, but graphically speaking....it's reached it's max.

    I'm done with this blog.

    It's been real.

    I 3N3MY I....out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I guess he's allowed to comment weekly on how crappy XBL is and how much of a rip off it is, but I say that PS Plus is a waste of money and we get this? Talk about childish...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's worth it to ME to play with friends.
    It's worth it to ME to have a better online interface.
    It's worth it to ME to have party chat so I'm not forced to mute all the assholes (YES, they're on PSN, too!)
    It's worth it to ME to have ESPN.
    It's worth it to ME to play with a controller that I don't hate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Crap! If he wants to pay $50 a year for ps plus then who honestly cares? If he wants to sell his xbox because it literally sat there gathering dust who cares? Its seriously time to put this petty shit aside so this blog can go back to its original purpose.

    I've been following this blog for a long time now and I think its bullshit that people are still hating on IENEMYI about something thats already over and done with. Honestly lets all just move on. Its one thing to give your opinion but thats all it is is YOUR OPINION and I'm sick and tired of hearing how he "wasted his money" or how he "made a stupid decision." Obviously he doesn't care if you think its a waste of money because your not him. Everyone else on this page was having a good discussion and yes Salad you can state your opinion but you didn't have to get shitty about it.

    In the end everyone is entitled to his own opinion but seriously he sold his xbox months ago... Please for the sake of the blog can we put this shit aside?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol not enough... im just glad this is all over lol I really like this blog alot and it sucked seeing everyone fight. And salad I didn't mean anything personal :)

    ReplyDelete