Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Updating... Please Wait...

Although I'm sure I could google a quick solution to this quandary, I also want to vent.  Why, tell me why, does my PS3 update every single time I do something with it.  I know I don't game on it as much as some people, but I feel like every time I play, watch, try, move, download something, my PS3 needs to restart and update.  And I know it's not just me - I was playing with 3N3MY the other night, and we decided to hop into the Killzone 3 Beta, and it updated on us.  Not a quick install, not a loading screen for the menu (both of those were there too, rest assured) but a full blown, let me sit there, don't you dare shut me off while I'm thinking, update.

I can't help but notice that my 360 does this maybe once or twice a year. I'm not using this as flame bait, but as a comparable example.  I know the PS3 infrastructure is very different from the 360, but could it possibly be that different?  My mac doesn't even get updates this frequently, and I feel like there is a new version of itunes every week.  Gah.

4 comments:

  1. There IS a new version of iTunes every week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, certainly an annoyance, but not too bad if you just make sure to turn it on every day or every other day. The game updates surprised me tho. Last week I tried the Killzone 3 demo. It was only a couple days old, but as soon as I downloaded/installed it and booted it up, it had to update. That was really surprising to me. An update for a DEMO?

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be fair, the Killzone 3 multiplayer thing is a Beta and not just a demo...right? I think the betas I've participated in in the past have all had updates/tweaks along the way. I'm getting off-topic though. Yes, the frequency of system and games updates for the PS3 is quite ridiculous. And in case you forgot...dual shock controller sucks ASS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The updates can get pretty bad. Especially since they've been combating this major system hacking that's been going on.

    The updates don't bother me that much....except for the day I bought the system. From the time I hooked up the thing to the massive update on the system to the ginormous update for Killzone 2 it was around 2 hours before I played anything.

    I do remember someone from microsoft (I think it was Shane Kim) saying that he wished that the 360 infrstructure (I don't know if he meant the physical parts of the system of the corporate structure of microsoft) would allow them to tweak the system more regularly. Instead they only do massive updates once or twice a year.

    Pros and cons of both I guess, but yeah....if you don't play often I can certainly see it getting really old....has the 45 patches from Gears taught us nothing?!

    ReplyDelete