Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Medal of Honor Early Impressions and the fail in the Power A

I preordered Medal of Honor a couple days ago and since I was up late playing the awesome "Enslaved: Odyssey to the West" anyways, I decided to go to the midnight release.

One cool sidenote of the PS3 version over the 360 version is the inclusion of "MoH: Frontlines" HD remake. It's 4.4gb that installs to your drive. I'm guessing the 360 didn't get it because of the disc space limitations.

After an update and then the obligatory PS3 install I got it up and running. I get to the MP side and go to the controller settings to make sure that the triggers are set how I like....with the actual triggers being triggers. Stupidly retardedly it can't be done. R1 and L1 are primary first and aim down sights. Instant frustration for me.

So I hop in to a TDM game and am using my Power A controller. For a while now I've had a sneaking suspicion that there's a decent sized "dead zone" in the sticks and MoH showed them to me instantly. Aiming would go from almost no movement to full in a VERY small space of movement. I was even more let down. I stuck it out for a few rounds and actually played quite well.

Out of curiosity I tried my old Afterglow controller and that was even worse than the Power A. After that...I did the unthinkable and for most of us on this blog...the unforgiveable. I blew the dust off of the DS, put my Grip Itz on and proceeded to play. I tore it up. For the next 2 hours I played with the DS with no cramps and surprising comfort. Since I've been using the Power A so much the "loosey goosey" sticks weren't a problem so it was all natural.

Anyways, the gameplay is basically what you've heard. Bad Company gameplay in a MW type package. The maps are far larger and more interesting that what you'll find in any CoD game because it's 12 vs 12 and not 6 vs 6 or 8 vs 8. Due to the larger player limit I was shocked at how more "warlike" the game felt. There was always something going on.

I really like the game a lot and it's very obvious that it's much less adrenaline kill everything I'm a one man army that's gonna call in a nuke type of military shooter and more a paced thoughtful shooter. Death does come easily and unfortunately the snipers are everywhere and their guns are overpowered.

I'm really looking forward to trying the other game types and giving the SP a spin. I'm sure I'll post a review in a week or so.

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to get this (for the PC, of course). :P Some footage I've watched looked pretty cool.

    Maybe they'll tone down the snipers... I really enjoy how balanced the sniping feels in BC2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No balance in MoH that I can find. There's no kill cam and no way to tell where they're shooting from (which is the point of sniping, but people abuse the hell out of it). I watched a video the other day and it's 1 shot kills with snipe anywhere above the waist. I'll accept that for a headshot, but not body shots.

    I used snipe for about 5 mins and it's ridiculously easy to get kills with. Oh well...guess on a team of 12 I'll be one of 3 assault guys with 9 snipers backing me up.

    Here's hoping for a patch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know, you could have just gotten it on the Game Gear and avoided all of the controller frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The game kinda strives for realism though, doesn't it? Central mass will take down a guy with most sniper rifles, won't it?

    ReplyDelete