Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, September 13, 2010

Power A Pro Elite and "GRIP IT" Reviews

If you love your PS3, but hate the controller then this is THE controller that will make you finally dump hours into your PS3.


I received mine in the mail last week and I absolutely love it. I've put around 7 hours on it already between MW2 and Assassin's Creed 2 so I have a very good base for my review. Since the controller is obviously a shameless ripoff of the 360 design I will compare the controller directly to it.


The controller is slightly "girthier" (had to use that word) than the 360 and it feels great in the hands. I could absolutely see people with smaller hands or all asians having a problem with this design. Which is probably why the DS is as small as it is.


The face buttons are all quite larger, flatter and require a more deliberate push to use. Where the 360 buttons are great I do enjoy the larger buttons on the Power A.


As much as well all bag on the DS one thing I do prefer on it over the 360 is that the joysticks (while slippery as hell) do seem to have a larger range of motion and this continues on the Power A, but without as much "looseness". The joysticks are tighter than the DS, but not quite as tight as the 360. All in all I still prefer the 360 resistance on the joystick, but prefer the larger range of motion on the Power A.

The sticks are also longer on the Power A which can arguably help with accuracy in shooters.


The triggers are top notch. I described them to Lead Salad as more of a "saddle" than a large trigger like on the 360. They are much shorter and wider and your fingers rest directly in them for more of a snug fit. There is a surprising amount of resistance on the triggers as well and I really enjoy the feel of them.


This is the most solid construction I've ever felt on a 3rd party controller. It feels absolutely solid. No creaks or squeaks when you squeeze it. Just a very well put together controller just like the DS and 360.


The Power A also has built in grips that aren't all that different from a pistol grip and it's awesome. On my 360 I installed a rubber cover years ago that really helps with marathon gaming, but without the rubber cover I def prefer the Power A for "feel".


I played "Flower" on the PS3 to test the SixAxis and it works just as it should.


All in all the controller is amazing and I recommend it to anyone that prefers the 360 design over the DS. It's arguably one of the best controllers on the market today and with a price tag that's cheaper than either the DS or 360.

GRIP IT joystick covers are my new lover and while they do look silly as hell they work very well. They install in seconds without glue and give you a ton more grip on the joystick. It does give a more "sure" feel while playing shooters and def adds more padding on the sticks for marathon gaming where jamming L3 for running in CoD can tend to bother your thumbs.

The set comes with 2 pair of covers so I have them on my Power A and on my 360 controller. Get them.

2 comments:

  1. Are those thumb stick covers really worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Honestly, they are very awesome. Just adds another layer of comfort and control to the controllers.

    ReplyDelete