Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, September 30, 2010

360 Problems

I know I've been on my high horse about the 360's lack of reliability, but as many of you know on this blog it's broken again.

My Best Buy warranty still has 5 months left on it so I'm swapping it in after work tonight. Good news is that I'll be able to get a sexy new "slim" 360, but the bad news is that it renders my currently way overprices HDD useless because it's incompatible with the new slims.

I've grown accustomed to taking apart the 360 and after doing so 5 times you learn a LOT about hardware. Surprisingly (at least to me anyways), they're not nearly as fragile as you'd think.

So tonight I'll be performing a labotamy on my old 360 HDD and transferring it the slim because the 200 dollar slim (the price of the arcade model I bought) only has 4gb of flash memory. It is confirmed that you can't even play Reach COOP without a drive and not even a thumb flash drive will do the trick.

Looking up some videos the process should actually be fairly simple and luckily doesn't call for me to break open the slim in any way. My problem is that I looked up my error code, E68, and this is what I found:

"E68: Hard Drive Error - Hard drive not DMA configured: It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it. Also this can be caused by a problem with the fans that make them draw too much power, it can also be caused if you have unnecessary accessories attached to the console like an external fan unit. Attempt to remove unnecessary accessories first, and then necessary components such as the hard drive and USB devices. If you have any case mods you may want to investigate those as well."

As you can see I may still be boned if this is strictly a HDD problem because putting it into a new box won't fix a damn thing. So I guess I'm saying....."wish me luck" because my heart can't bear much more and if nothing else one of you guys could be the owner of an incredibly lightly used Slim 360 for next to nothing!

2 comments:

  1. Well, whatever happens and whether you end up with a new S console or an arcade model replacement, I hope you can get it up and running. I'm not ready to wave goodbye to the I3N3MYI avatar on my dashboard yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the week of breakdowns... My PC is turning into HAL 9000 this month... without the monotone voice...

    ReplyDelete