Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Swordfish Studies and Fiddy Cent

Okay....I'm kind of a shooter junkie. I play great shooters, mediocre shooters and even downright bad shooters. 1st or 3rd person makes no difference to me.

Recently I played thru the entire game of "Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard" and it was no easy feat. The game went on for FAR too long, but for some reason even as I was explaining to my understanding wife that I hate this game I felt compelled to finish it. I wanted to see then end. I finished it and shipped it back out on goozex 2 days later.

Next I got "Army of 2: The 40th Day." I am still a BIG fan of the first game which I played for hours and hours both with brjahu, my brother, a few strangers and myself. This new one wasn't bad at all and had some amazing set pieces, but I found myself being just....bored by it. I didn't dislike it. I thought that some control issues were badly implemented and that aiming was a little "slidey," but that it was okay overall. Anyways, I decided to not even finish the game and shipped it out again on goozex yesterday. I finished Matt Hazard, but not The 40th Day...weird.

Anyways, I finally come to my point. Last night I started "50 Cent: Blood on the Sand" and it's awesome. Really tight controls and no nonsense gameplay. The game borrows very heavily from Army of Two over any other shooter and it somehow one ups a major studio like EA MONTREAL.

The story is ridiculous, but the action is fast and tight. You fortunately have no control over your AI partner so he never slows you down and is ALWAYS helpful. The soundtrack is a huge list of 50 Cent songs and the swearing is some of the most prolific in any game to date, but man is it fun.

Just nice to play a game that knows its a game and focuses on fun and fast paced gameplay over story or content. I guess that sometimes I get so bogged down by judging a game on it's content or if it's artsy or "worthy of play" that I forget to just have fun.

It is CO-OP so I would truly love to run through this game with another member of G-UNIT...let me know.

1 comment:

  1. i heard that game was surprisingly good... yet another game i won't have time for, with Lego Harry Potter, Alpha Protocol, and Starcraft 2 right around the corner...

    ReplyDelete