Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, March 19, 2012

Ninja Gaiden 3 tomorrow. Maybe?

I'm a big fan of the series. I have been since the NES days. I love the hack-and-slash, frenetic, bloody goodness of the newer games.

Enter the newest entry in the franchise set to be released tomorrow. Developed by the same studio, but without the original designer of the series (Tomonobu Itagaki), it is opening up to mixed reviews. I was 100% set on buying this game tomorrow up until I read IGN's review, which ripped it to shreds and gave it a 3 out of 10. Now I'm having second thoughts. Only a few other reviews have been posted up but they are much more respectable (and 8/10 from OXM and an 8/10 from CVG).

I guess my question is....should I care what one review says? Would any of you let a few bad reviews turn you off from buying the next game in a series you've always loved? What if reviewers had unanimously taken a dump on Mass Effect 3? What if reviewers, later this year, give Halo 4 really mediocre scores? What if Black Ops 2 is finally the CoD game where reviewers start to wise up and give it low marks for lack of innovation, etc.? I know we've kinda discussed this before, but not quite so specifically.

4 comments:

  1. I don't see anything wrong with using reviews to dictate your purchase. The question your asking is more about money and value than game quality or commitment. I know you would play it in a heartbeat if it were free.

    That being said, I just hopped on over and watched the video review. I think you should trust the numbers on this one, man. No dismemberment, sloppy camera, easy challenges, and a poorly written (and poorly told) story to boot.

    Oh yeah. And there is only one weapon! Are you kidding me?! Talk about taking steps backwards... all the other stuff they changed looked to be really consistent, but this looks bad in every direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The money/value is honestly not my chief concern. It's just the simple fact that I can't believe a "Ninja Gaiden game" would be a 3/10. I won't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way that the camera constantly swoops in and out during the action looks like enough to make me puke. The only issue/gripe I've ever had with the (3rd person) Ninja Gaiden games is the camera. I don't see how adding that could possibly help. That looks like the kind of feature you should be able to disable. I think it's just plain weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, I would probably wait and see what other reviews say. In the case of Mass Effect 3 getting dumped on hypothetically I would still get it because the same core group of developers and game designers and producers that made the first 2 made the 3rd.

    With Itagaki out it raises a pretty huge red flag. Sure its still Team Ninja, but Itagaki is a legend in game design for a reason and without him there's too many variables and ways to screw it up.

    I remember reading a while back that Team Ninja wanted to make it a more appealing game.

    I would love it to be awesome, but I have a feeling it will be a Ninja Gaiden game in name only.

    ReplyDelete