Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Final Frontier

So.... Angry Birds Space is out, and it's awesome. I wish there was another way to put it. It's just awesome.  I was fairly certain that this was just going to be a cosmetic shift, maybe some new abilities, and more money in Rovio's pocket, but the lack of gravity creates a whole lot of new gameplay mechanics (still revolving around slinging your birds into oblivion), and it creates a whole lot of simple joy.

Angry Birds has always been a game that no serious gamer really likes to admit that they love, but I think it pushes our buttons the same way it pushes non-gamers.  Angry Birds Space ups the ante slightly by challenging even the most expert of Angry Birds Players to reconsider the tried and true strategies.  Thinking through some of the "harder" levels felt like there was a bit of a puzzle element to the game, requiring me to think about the sequencing of events much more than I ever did in the original angry birds.

It's free for Android, or $.99 if you feel like getting rid of the ads.  I don't think any of us have ever sat down for a long night of gaming and planned on that gaming being Angry Birds, but I do think we've all played it.  I'm curious what you all think about it.

2 comments:

  1. I just tried it out. It's pretty fun. I've always found Angry Birds to be a fun little puzzle game. Nothing more, nothing less. Not too challenging on the whole, unless you're trying to get 3 stars on each stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I hate to admit it I played the hell out of the original Angry Birds. I bought Space the other day because the ads annoyed me with the original. They actually negatively impacted play as it caused slow down and made seeing targets more difficult.

    ReplyDelete