Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, January 31, 2011

Dead Space 2 Review

The first Dead Space is in my personal top tier of games. The atmospheric and moody game breathed new life into a struggling survival horror genre that has been fighting to stay relevant in todays game market. It's HUDless game structure mixed with astounding audio design, great controls, amazing mood lighting, cramped corridors, believable game world, mysterious story and the awesome "Cut off their limbs" shooting strategy all mixed together perfectly and was polished to perfection.

I love Dead Space.

Dead Space 2 was the game I was most looking forward to in all of 2011. Even over Elder Scrolls V and Mass Effect 3 I wanted to take up the mantle of Isaac Clarke again and cut up some bitches! Below is my official review.

Liked:

Isaac Clarke: I love this guy. In today's gaming world it's very common to have a faceless and voiceless protagonist that comes off lazy and half assed to me. In the first game Isaac wasn't faceless, but he was voiceless. He does come off as a 3 dimensional character in the first game though when you come to realize why he is where he is and especially at the end of the game. In DS2 Isaac has a voice. He talks a lot and I'm happy to say he has a normal man's voice. He's not super gruff or super anything. He's a normal guy. In DS1 he seemed like an engineer just doing anything he can to stay alive, but in DS2 he's a veteran. He knows what he's up against and he's the most likely to survive. You still never feel overly badass, but you do feel competent.

Audio: It's still top notch.

Weapons: One of the most interesting things about Isaac is that he IS NOT a soldier. He's an engineer and most all of his guns are tools for mining. This leads to some interesting weapons with some really interesting alternate firing modes. There were actually almost too many new weapons in DS2, but they're still awesome.

Enemies: Necromorphs are some of the coolest bad guys in any game ever.....period. They're scary and tough and fearless. In DS2 they're are numerous additions to their ranks and they're some of the harder ones in the series....damn you Stalkers and Spitters....damn you.

Difficulty: The first DS wasn't very tough. It would run you through your paces at times, but never really threw more at you than you could handle. I've beat Impossible mode 2 times and as long as you know what you're doing and keep yourself backed against a wall you could handle just about anything. That's not the case in DS2. This game will rail you every which way from Tuesday if you aren't on your toes. Even my tried and true strategies were worthless when the game threw the amount and variation of enemies all at once.

Set pieces: There wasn't a lot of amazing stuff in the game, but the train sequence and the mirror sections were really neat. Always seeing Jupiter on the horizon was pretty good looking as well.

Zero G: DS1 was the first game I'd ever played that made no gravity not only fun, but scary and disorientating. DS2 actually gives you the ability to fly around in Zero G and it was always really fun to me just how badly disoriented you could get. I don't think it's a fault of the game, but more of an acknowledgement of how hard it is to keep your bearings when you can float or move in any which way you want. Where the hell is the ground?! Luckily they put in a button to reorient yourself to the ground.

Story: I love the story in this game. I love that it's kind of X Files in the way that they give you enough meat to chew on, but never reveal the wizard behind the curtain.

Tension: The game isn't a very scary one, but I'd be lying if it didn't keep you on the edge of your seat.

The Ishimura Level: My love for DS1 is huge and when I realized that I'd be getting to go back onto the Ishimura (the giant ship the first game takes place in) 3 years after the first game I almost shit my pants. It was all there. Seeing everything a little more run down and broken was really neat. Also, getting to see where the tram would drop you off in the 1st game in the 2nd was really neat.

No Loading: In DS1 after every level you would go to a loading screen and they did a good job of explaining the load because it was you traveling by tram to another part of the ship for another level, but here the game was seamless. The only loads that happened were when you started your game from the main menu.

The Controls: I'm actually glad they made them more "action game" friendly because you get your ass handed to you at times.

The Intro: It was awesome. Who doesn't love running away from Necromorphs totally helpless wearing a straight jacket?

Disliked:

The levels: Apparently a lot of people bitched about the level design of the first game. That you did too much backtracking and that you were just an errand boy. I never had that problem and I really loved getting to know each level intimately. You would revisit the medical area 2 different times and there were new things. New evidence that people were there trying to impede your progress or other people just trying to survive. It's nothing that the game even pointed out, but something you gathered from observation. I loved that the more you played the more the levels opened up for you. It had a very Metroid/Castlevania feel to it. Locked off areas that you could access later once you had taken the proper steps. That's simply not the case in DS2 at all. It's all just keep moving forward and it really hurt the progression of the game as well as totally cheapened the atmosphere. While the levels did look good they felt a lot more static and cheap than DS1.

Pacing: I think this goes back to level design, but DS1 just really had it together better here. You always knew what you were working for and what your next task was. In DS2 I didn't really know what was going on a lot of the time....I was just...ya know....walking forwards still.

Puzzles: Or lack of them. The first game didn't really have a lot of puzzles, but it did have some puzzle elements that helped break up the action and tension.

Too much shooting: I love shooting games and I love DS1 and even DS2, but this was too much at times. Especially towards the end when you walk into a room and wait to get attacked by about 15 guys. You knew it was coming because that's what the whole game was like. DS1 did a better job mixing it up and keeping you guessing, but here you knew you'd always be fighting. Also, you would get your ass handed to you at times because you would just get overrun with the sheer amount of enemies. That's not a bad thing and I'm not saying I couldn't handle it, but it is slightly annoying to trying and fight off 6 guys from 3 directions when you handle how you do. Not that the controls are bad at all because honestly I don't think they could be any better, but Isaac is not fit to fight well in some of those circumstances.

Length: Salad and I talked about this a bit, but it wasn't as long as the first. I had under 10 hours into it and in DS1 my first playthrough was 14 hours.

Suits: Don't get me wrong the outfits in this game are great, but I really loved the organic feel of the 1st game's suits and leveling it up one bit at a time. It was a lot more cohesive.

Overall:

I really liked DS2, but it doesn't beat DS1. DS1 was the complete package and while it wasn't a perfect game I think that they changed the formula a little too much and hurt the overall experience. It's a great game and one I'll enjoy playing again and again, but DS1 is still king.

Bottom line is if you love all that is great about video games then you should be playing this series. Def play the original first and then give this one a spin.

Dead Space series is king.

Altman be praised.


5 comments:

  1. Um, you were on Titan, a moon of Saturn... not Jupiter. GOSH! Get your sci-fi correct... :P

    Haha, good review. I agree with most of it. The pacing was different and really made you use stasis more. The end chapter was very annoying but the finale was great and not quite what I expected. Definitely a good sequel but the first one was better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My most sincere apologies. I was typing up a storm. Spoiler alert....I'm not perfect. I knew I was on a moon just forget the planet. My very eager mother just served us nine pizzas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job.

    I agree with just about everything, I think.

    One thing you didn't really mention were the graphics, which I thought were pretty impressive, especially in Isaac's face and eyes. They really nailed the eyes (wink-wink).

    Also, the audio is a huge, HUGE plus in both game. Get a surround sound system and crank it UP.

    I had a problem with the difficulty, too, at some points. It can just get really hectic when there are 10 guys surrounding you and you're trying to aim to shoot and refill stasis and heal at the same time. I didn't die throughout the game consistently, but there were just certain parts where it took me a good 10 tries or so to get past a point. It probably didn't help me that I refuse to BUY ammo from the stores (how lame is that? pssh). I just go with what I can get from searching rooms and looting dead bodies. That leads me to the point that this game really nailed the SURVIVAL HORROR aspect in gaming that I haven't really felt since Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2. I was ALWAYS low on ammo and health, and it made for a good playthrough of fun, challenge, and frustration.

    I was a little disappointed with the mission structure. There were too many corridors leading from A to B with too little exploration. There were too few zero g sections, no big bosses like in the first game, too few puzzles, and no sections where you get to shoot giant lasers at asteroids. I didn't really love the last boss, either. The length of the game was a bit disappointing, too. I just looked and it took me 8:17 on my first playthrough. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure my first time through on Dead Space took at least 12 hours. I'm shocked that I haven't heard more people ranting this aspect of the game. Typically if a game is under 10 hours, critics will absolutely RAIL on it for being too short.

    I agree that the first game is a better package. It may not be all shiny and new anymore, but I think it was a bit more fun and atmospheric with more variety. However, I've started another playthrough and I'm having a ton of fun with that upgrading everything, looking at new suits, and destroying all the early level guys with my maxed out Javelin gun. BURN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just started my new game plus as well. Gonna finish this run through on normal again and then go for hard core. His playthrough I'm really going for map memorization to help me on hard core. Then I can use my foam finger on zealot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your dislike of the level progression being to straightforward is something many current game designers miss out on. Walking that fine line between backtracking, and revealing something, is tough to do, and it sounds like you consider DS1 to talk it pretty well. I think it starts to push that "backtracking" feeling when the player gets the sensation that the designers forgot you've already been here before. (Red Dead Redemption, anyone?)

    As usual, I'm late to the party, but I think I'd really like to try DS1 now. I've never had a huge interest in survival horror but everyone talking makes it sounds like decent isolated narrative.

    (Side Note: if you ever look online for a homemade guide to all the ruins and symbols in the game, a guy I work with wrote that)

    ReplyDelete