Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, July 29, 2010

inFamous

This is not a review, but more of an impressions piece for those that have asked me about this game in the recent past.

I have over 6 hours in the game and I think it's fair to say that I have a pretty good idea of what the rest of the game will offer.

Like:

Story-A non GTA sandbox game with a decent story? Is it true? Yes, it absolutely is! You're a bike messenger carrying a package that you think is just a package, but it's actually some type of terrorist bomb (still not super sure on what this is fully because I'm still mid game). Basically the bomb absolutely devestates the city and you're surprisingly alive and badly wounded. Days later in the hospital you realize you've been granted powers from the bomb. You can control and manipulate electricity in many different ways. It truly feels like living in the shoes of a superhero at his very beginning.

Morality-This is something that has been done a lot in recent years with games, but it still works pretty good in the game. Basically as a superhero deciding who he is ultimately you can save and help people, many times at the cost of yourself in some ways, or you can exploit them and help yourself. These citizens already think that you're a terrorist in the beginning of the game because you were carrying the bomb, but it's been a blast to see the citizens react to me differently as I continue to help the city and they realize I'm a good guy. They run up to me and call me "buddy" or "pal" and ask me to help their friends.

They're totally f$*#ing me over!-During the game I've found myself frustrated with the situations in the game and I mean this in a great way! Basically I'm doing all of these great things to help the city and I'll find news reports all over saying that the government has stepped in and helped the citizens of Empire City again! Those bastards left the city to die and will not help at all. They're doing a PR blitz to not look like the fall guys! It's totally awesome to make me, as the player, feel emotions of anger and resentment in a fake world where I feel I'm working for the greater good. There's also some fear mongering dude that keeps trying to tell the city that I'm the cause of all the problems and that I need to be killed.

Controls-Surprisingly tight for a sandbox game. Normally with open world games I've found that some part of the controls are wonky. Either they're needlessly complex (GTA) or aiming is all over the place (I love you Saboteur), but they work great here.

Comics-During bigger plot points you are told the story through a comic book style of cutscene and they're very awesome.

Electricity-Running low on power? Go up to any of a million electrical devices from cars to street lights and drain the electricity from it to power up again! It's a lot of fun.

Shards-Like in Crackdown there are a ton of power shards to find all over the world. These level up your power meter to make you more deadly in combat.

Annoying:

Climbing-It works pretty well overall and while it's nice to have your character be as "sticky" as he is when you're trying to do some difficult jumps it's also a huge pain because you tend to grab on to crap you never intended to. Reminds me of the "roadie run" in Gears.

Powers-While they're a ton of fun to use the main power feels more like a gun than a power. You basically just shoot electricity in semi auto fire from your hands.

Enemies-This game throws almost too many opponents at you. Many of them are snipers and they're all over the damn place. You'll be fighting 4 or 5 guys on the ground and be sniped from 5 different rooftops. Not that it ruins the fun, but it can get annoying.

Final Thoughts:

I didn't cover everything that I wanted to because this is too long already, but the game is a lot of fun. It feels like Crackdown in a lot of ways, but with a WAY more focused story.

I def recommend this game to basically any sandbox or action game fan because of it's good story and excellent game mechanics and controls. I've read that many people sink around 30 hours into one playthrough so I have a lot more city to save!

6 comments:

  1. After putting several hours into Crackdown, and finally getting fed up after being constantly one-shotted by bad guys, I'll pass on any game compared to Crackdown.

    This game did get a lot of positive reviews though. And I would need a PS3 too sooooo... :D

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's one shotting you in Crackdown? Are you playing on Psychotic?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was playing on tough (which is really the easy mode) and I kept getting one-shotted by grenades and rocket launchers. Really ticked me off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah...I never had that problem either. Crackdown is awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It happened several times and I swear I still had my shield (at least part of it) and 3 full life bars when it happened. When stuff like that happens, I just have to give up before I get too mad. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I usually end up killing myself in Crackdown, pushing the limits of a jump, or driving my supercar into a pile of rockets.

    ReplyDelete