Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Deathspank Review

I was watching this game for a while and even though the title is absolutely ridiculous, the game was pretty fun. I think it was 1200 pnts but it was worth it as I sunk a good 10+ hours into it last week before beating it. Definitely a great acton RPG well worth the money spent on it.

PROS
+Graphics - the art style is great and every building and chest and tree is flat so it's 2d in a 3d world which is pretty cool. And the landscape scrolls towards you over the horizon, similar to the small globe worlds in several Ratchet & Clank games.
+Humor - some may find this childish but there were some pretty funny parts but I am one to still laugh at toilet humor.
+Combat - the combat is fast and definitely fun though it can be hard at parts. Enemies take a lot of kiting with your crossbow.
+Inventory - there are some smart little ways to combine items for quests or drop items so a creature eats off the wood or something funny like that though I believe this wasn't utilized enough.
+Justice Meter - there is a meter you fill up as you attack enemies and take damage and once it's full, you can unleash some cool moves from your different weapons. Some big maces will knock enemies into the ground so they can't move which was pretty funny and another sword does this long whirlwind manuever that just devestates everything.

CONS
-Limited Potions - Not sure who's idea this was but limiting potions in an action RPG is just a stupid idea. You can still complete the game. I kept several different sizes of health potions and mapped several of them to the directional pad, so I'd have 5 potions that healed 700hp and another 5 that healed 400hp.
-Pirate Ship - In a preview demo for this game in a video I watched online, I saw this pirate town you could visit and then jump in a ship and roam around the sea. Unless I blatantly missed a whole area of the game, I could not find this ANYWHERE. Not sure if this will be in some DLC but to show off a part of a game, get everybody excited, and then not even conclude that in the final product. A little irritating.
-Difficulty - the game can be hard at times, though you can always pursue another quest or try and go level up and then come back to that area. Combine the difficult with limited potions and it almost ruined the game for me.
-Inventory - I felt the great idea of allowing you to combine items and mess with your inventory was not used nearly enough.

This was quick and brief but it was a great arcade purchase so I thought I would let everybody know.

1 comment:

  1. I played the demo on the PSN and liked what I saw. The art style is very cool and I am a fan of the humor as well. With a recommendation from you it's a def purchase for me when I get some down time from other games.

    ReplyDelete