Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, July 4, 2010

1080p - New TV

Hey, I just got a new TV yesterday. An awesome 47" Vizio that goes up to 1080p. I know the stock cables on the XBOX 360 block the HDMI plug. I know I need an HDMI cable but do I really need to fork out the $40 for the 360 converter kit? Is that all I need to run it in 1080p?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. My brother believes the 360 can run in 1080p but I'm not sure how to do it...

Thanks ahead of time.

9 comments:

  1. Any HDMI cable will work the same as the Microsoft branded one. The 360 brand HDMI cable also comes with a optical audio output cable. That cable is very similar to the standard/component output cable that came with your 360, but is a tad slimmer allowing the HDMI port to utilized at the same time. This cable could be found at your local Gamestop store for 1.99 used if they have it in stock.

    But to answer your question in simple terms, the 360 should auto detect the presence of HDMI. After it does, changing the video settings in your system settings tab from your dashboard will allow you to make sure your 360 is interpreting the new cable appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little confused. What do you mean when you say the stock cables block the HDMI plug? I'm pretty sure you either have the HDMI port (post-Elite xbox) or you don't. Regardless, you can do 1080p with component cables or HDMI. Hit the guide button, go to the right to system settings, then "console settings" then "diplay" then "HDTV settings" then choose your resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Upon further inspection, I see what you mean now about the blocking. I was confused because I often use the HDMI for video but attach the separate standard/component cable (which Amateria mentioned is slimmer. I had never noticed) to get the optical jack for sound (another STUPID decision by Microsoft not to just have an optical jack ON the system which was addressed with the new design).

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! I thought you HAD to have the HDMI cables to do 1080p. I'm gonna go check that out now.

    Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do need the HDMI cables to make it work like that. As far as I understand it, the best you can view with component cables is 720p. 1080p requires a higher quality cable - HDMI.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I turned the 360 display to 1080p and it accepted it but I didn't notice a difference between it and 720p so I'm just going to get the converter kit and see what that does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There really is no noticeable difference. I'd say getting a converter kit is a waste of $. Do whatever you want, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. JR, the differences in 720p and 1080p are so marginal, honestly i doubt you'll even notice an increase in quality. besides half the games dont even run at full 1080p anyways, take MW2 for example runs at about the 600p mark i beleive, i actually dont know many games on the 360 that do run at native 1080p, your xbox will upscale them them to the selected resolution however i'd be very surprised if you'd even notice the difference, on a massive 100" screen perhaps. only buy the converter if u're needing it for the optical jack output...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, gotcha. Thanks again. I think I'll save my money...

    ReplyDelete