Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, January 11, 2013

SUPER DUPER TRIPLE REVIEW: Sleeping Dogs, Spec Ops: The Line, Binary Domain

This past week has been good to me as I've finished 3 excellent games.  Below are very brief reviews of each.

Sleeping Dogs

Hands down my favorite sandbox game of all time.  Ever.  Great story that tears you between loyalty to friends and the job.  Some truly cringe worthy moments in here of brutality. 

A sandbox game that doesn't compromise in almost anyway.  Great shooting and melee combat that's fun and rewarding.  Good physics and great driving. 

It does pull from every great sandbox game ever made, but it does everything that they do, but does it better.  This game is everything a sandbox game should be.

One of the select few games that gave me a tinge of sadness to see it end.  That the journey was over and the story complete.  I really hope they make a sequel to this game.

9/10

Spec Ops: The Line

Holy fuck.  A modern 3rd person military shooter that has an amazing and convuluted narrative where you never really know if you're the good guy or not.

Throw in some moments that make you feel like a fucking monster and some excellent voice acting and a couple squad mates that mentally breakdown with and you've got the most compelling shooter I've ever played.  Period.

2012 GOTY to me.

9/10

Binary Domain

A random game, I know, but it was a lot of fun.  Over the top action with fun bad guys, tons of robots!!!!

Great action and some memorable characters.  The enemies were a ton of fun because they blow apart in interesting and very visual/reactionary ways. 


It does fall apart on a handful of boss fights that were just dumb as fuck.  Instant knock downs with slow recovery time make the fights a bit of a chore at times.

Creepy humanoid/robotic moments and interactions in here.

Great game that you should be able to pick up for cheap. 

8/10

2 comments:

  1. I need a moment...

    Either 2012 was just an overall crappy year for you in gaming or Spec Ops: The Line really has something that is obviously missing from anything I've seen about it. I'm not in any way bashing your opinion, especially since I know absolutely nothing of it, but I'm just shocked that a military-based FPS gets your GOTY nod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth be told it wasn't a very stellar year in gaming for me up until these last couple months. I would have given GOTY to The Walking Dead as it was mind blowing, but playing Spec Ops took it away.

    Spec Ops is, in essence, a typical and straight forward shooter. It's a genre we all love and know inside and out. It was the narrative and the way the game made me feel and respond and really think about my actions that got me. Killing people in games is something we've all been doing for years. Especially with HALO, CoD, BF and Gears of War, but this is the 1 and only shooter I've ever played that makes you think about the atrocities you're committing.

    Some people probably play it and don't think much of it, but it's the fact that it IS a standard shooter, but that it absolutely turns the genre on it's head by taking it's implications so seriously that tipped me to give it GOTY.

    The Walking Dead was amazing, but it's specifically built around having an emotional response.

    Spec Ops is, but does it with a much harder delivery to a much less mature audience than a puzzle adventure game (stereotypically).

    I'm going to be playing through Spec Ops a couple more times to Platinum it and then I'm sending it to Salad. He can send it to you when he's done with it.

    Just don't read anything or watch any videos on it. You'll more than likely ruin some moments that shouldn't be ruined.

    ReplyDelete