Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, September 14, 2012

WiiU Announcement Thoughts

This is just kind of a general rambling and disjointed thoughts piece, but what are your feelings on the WiiU since they finally unveiled price and release date?

I think the damn thing is too expensive.

I think the gamepad will be a huge battery sucker.  Sure the processing is actually being done by the WiiU, but the size of the controller along with the large screen and other components for movement have to be a killer on the battery.  My Vita gets around 4hrs max on a charge and that gamepad can't be too much more than that, but I could be wrong.

One thing that 360 and PS3 controllers have in common is face button placement.  The buttons are located above the right stick.  The buttons on the gamepad and gamepad pro are below?!  What the fuck?  Nice big fuck you to muscle memory and is another fine example of Nintendo ignoring game norms and it's hard to think that they would have chosen this accidentally.

32GB internal memory?  Who the hell thought that was a good idea?  Salad and I were talking about the 20GB 360 and laughed at how impossibly small that is by today's standards.  It just further shows Nintendo's complete lack of belief in online play, dlc and the future of digital only games.

Bayonetta 2 as an exclusive is a big deal and was a huge surprise to me.  I think it's about as dumb a move that could've happened for a game with such a niche market, but oh well...maybe some people like to not earn more money.

Will I be getting one?  Ever?  No.  There's no need to.  Besides the built in screen on the controller there's nothing this thing will do that my PS3 or 360 can't do already and more than likely do better.  My Vita lets me remote play outside of my home or on my couch so in that regard it's already beaten the WiiU before it's launched.

Do I think the system will sell?  Absofuckinglutely it will.  It's Nintendo.  If Nintendo puts it out people will buy it.  It's the equivalent of Apple for video games.  No matter what they do their products sell.

Do I think the system will be left in the dust in another year?  Totally.  The WiiU will be just as antiquated as the Wii when the next PS and XBOX roll out.

I guess all in all I just don't get the point of this system.  It seems like a catchup game on Nintendo's part that is bound to just keep them further out of the loop of gaming beyond Nintendo first party titles.

Truthfully, I hope this thing bombs.  If for no other reason than to show Sony and Microsoft that doing what Nintendo has done will make you lose in the end.

Rant done.

2 comments:

  1. I will respond with some rambling thoughts of my own.

    As far as I know, Nintendo has been pretty tight-lipped concerning specs for the WiiU, basically just saying that it's more powerful than the PS3 and 360. I see this system as kind of a half-step past the current generation, but a whole jump for them, since the Wii was behind. Does that even make sense?

    Since the Gamepad is so expensive if bought individually ($180, right?) Nintendo better make sure they have some good online games or something. The Wii was obviously "good" for parties and stuff because Wiimotes were slightly more affordable and it was easy to pick up and play for noobs. What happens now when you want to play a WiiU locally?

    I think the hard drive sizes are a huge mistake. The 360 launched almost 7 years ago with a 20GB hard drive, with the bigshots claiming it was more space than you would ever need for anything ever. PS3 launched 6 years ago and their models were 40GB and 80GB (I think). Unless Nintendo has something special up their sleeve, this is ridiculous.

    Bayonetta 2 is a heartbreaker for me. I was really looking forward to playing a sequel. I don't really understand PlatinumGames's reasoning behind making it exclusive, but that comes with the territory with all exclusive games, I suppose.

    I think the pricing is about right, but that still doesn't mean I will get one. I admit I am curious to see how people will use the touchscreen on the Gamepad effectively. Besides managing inventory or a map screen in a game like Zelda, I haven't heard any great ideas about it so far.

    I wouldn't really count myself completely out of getting one of these sometime down the road. I still think it's very unlikely, but it may look appealing after it's gone through some price drops and built up a strong library of stuff I actually want to play. It will also be dependent on what the next-gen Sony and Microsoft consoles have to offer. Online structure will also be very important and I'm still curious how that will work. So yeah, I won't say I'll NEVER get one because I said that about the PS3 but I ended up getting one of those when I felt the price was reasonable and the game library had built up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is worthy of note that the WiiU has been reportedly less powerful than PS3 and 360 consoles. In side by side comparisons of similar games such as Darksiders 2 and AC3 game journalists have said that there is a noticeable difference in the systems.

    ReplyDelete