Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, September 7, 2012

Remote Play

I know I sent a text to most of you last night with a pic of my Vita "running" Shadow of the Colossus.  Sony has released patches for Ico, SoTC and God of War 1 and 2 to do this. 

What came as the biggest revelation to me was that this remote play won't only just work while you're directly connected to the PS3 locally, but it actually allows you to play your PS3 from anywhere that has a decent wifi with no lag.  This is revolutionary.

What I thought I would have in the beginning was a WiiU type device.  I could play my PS3 games on my couch while my wife watched her shows.  I had no idea that this would actually open the opportunity to literally play my PS3 from almost anywhere.

The Vita's forward thinking design with the back panel allows it to be broken into 4 quadrants so you still have L2, L3, R2 and R3 and it works surprisingly well.  I'll admit that getting used to holding the Vita in such a way that you're not hitting them accidentally will take some getting used to, but still it's an amazing technical feat.

Not only can I now play the 9 different great Vita only games I have, but I'm (especially down the road when this is made available to more and more games) able to play, potentially, any game in my PS3 library. 

This blurs the line between handheld and console all the more.  Sure the Vita isn't technically playing the game as it's just receiving the streaming info from the PS3, but it's a leap toward the future that gaming is most certainly headed.  The Vita and PS3 are just the first powerhouses to make it happen with legit games that aren't Bejeweled or Snood or fucking Peggle.


I realize that this post probably wreaks to high heaven of fanboyism, but seriously....this is awesome stuff and is a glimpse to the future of where games can go.

3 comments:

  1. Has Sony made any official indication that either of this existing hardware will be able to support PS3 games streaming like that? I feel like when I was working in sales, I was told by the Sony people that the PS3 would not be able to do that... Wasn't the PSP able to play PS1 games remotely just like you did with the Vita? I know the games you listed are technically patched PS2 games, but the principle is the same.

    In any case, an impressive step forward. It sounds to me like we're all just waiting for the stars to align and find that perfect time for the processing speeds of the consoles to be fast enough to support each other, and our (cultural) wireless connectivity be consistently fast enough that it isn't wasted technology (i.e. 3G on the Vita, which by phone standards, is now outdated tech)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool stuff. You already brought it up, but I think having the L2/L3 and R2/R3 buttons mapped to the back would be very frustrating and tough to get used to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as making more games (actual full blown PS3 games) available for remote play it's always been my understanding that they want it to work with as many games as possible.

    Legally I don't know if there are problems doing it to not Sony owned studios, but Killzone and Uncharted and a bunch of others are all Sony company IPs.

    I bet that they'll continue to better the process and make it more readily available.

    The PSP did have remote play, but I thought it was worthless because it just did PSOne games and why would I remote play them from my PS3 when I could play them one the PSP from the get go?

    The PSP did do one PS3 game and that was Lair.

    Maybe one day the 3ds will be able to remote play Wii Sports? That would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete