Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, February 22, 2013

The PS4 and Next Generation

So, anyone have any thoughts on the PS4 event?

I came away very impressed for a couple different reasons.

One, they beat Microsoft to the punch in a big way.  They didn't have to reveal anything at all.  They could have simply just waited to E3 and delivered it all, and more things like what it looks like and price, but they jumped the gun and have gotten the excitement train rolling!

Two, they're attempting to do things that I don't believe Microsoft or Nintendo will have the capability of doing.  Last year Sony bought a game streaming service, Gaikai, and lots of people guessed it would be used for the PS4 and that couldn't have turned out to be more true.  Try demos without downloading.  Watch your friends play games in real time.  Stream any PS1, PS2 or PS3 game offering a library of games literally in the thousands and thousands.

Also, Sony says that remote play of PS4 games on your Vita is something they're hoping to have available on day 1.  Microsoft has no handheld so it's not even in the cards and the 3DS is lacking the joysticks and inputs needed to make such a leap happen.  The PS3 has already done this with a handful of games and it works really well.  I think they extra horsepower supplied by the PS4 is what will be needed to make this a seamless experience.  The ability to play my PS4 from anywhere with a decent wifi?  That's thinking ahead.  That's the future and it's amazing.

The controller redesign is exactly what I was hoping for.  The DS is still in there, but it's been tweaked.  Adding some new functionality with a couple new buttons and a touchpad like the Vita's and a lightbar that points forward.  What's so great about this is it's going to allow much more input and versatility while not drastically changing the controller like the WiiU.  It's still the controller that I know and love, but a bit more ergonomic and with better triggers.  What's not to love?

The games look typical, but solid.  I'm probably most blown away by Watch Dogs at this point, but as Salad and I already agreed it looks to be a modern/future(ish) Assassin's Creed.  The concept seems very strong and the animations are pretty jaw dropping.  Plus, it's in future Chicago and I was picking out stuff I recognized from the demo.  Awesome!

Another Killzone is certainly another big pull for me.  While it's not a revolutionary shooter by any means it does play in a way that unique to any other shooter out there I know with a weight and feel that's more "realistic" and a truly scary enemy that's also, surprisingly, easy to sympathize with.  They just want the right to live after being fucked over!  I'd welcome a game where I get to play as a Helghast trooper killing the ISA!

I'm sure that there's many more games to be announced, but so far my interest went from a 3 to a 10.

Will I get one at launch?  If the price isn't crazy high I think it's safe to say that I'll be playing a PS4 on Christmas morning.

Sony came out swinging and really set the stage for the next gen.  I'm not saying that Microsoft can't top that, but they sure as hell have their work cut out for them. 

What did you guys think?

P.S.  I would like to repoint out what I said a year ago when the WiiU was announced.  Nintendo is cooked.  Just focus on relaunching the 3DS in every color of the rainbow.  It's all you guys can do anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment