Glad to see you...

If the gaming industry is an automobile, and the game designers are the drivers, then that makes us, the players, backseat drivers, and we'll be damned if we're gonna let the industry keep on heading the way it's going (good or bad) without letting them know what we think. So buckle up, feel free to complain about there being no air in the back, and bring your most critical and analytical mind to the open air discussion of the current age, Backseat Gamers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, October 19, 2012

Rut of a Lifetime

I've been gaming since I was very little.  My first gaming system was an Atari 2600 followed shortly by my amazing and still loved Coleco.  I've owned consoles from every generation since.  There's not really a genre I wouldn't play (unless you count SimCity as a genre which in that case you can just go fuck yourself).  I love RPG, shooters, puzzles, horror, adventure and plenty of smaller download games like Limbo and Castle Crashers.  Bottom line is that I love games.

I'm also in the rut of a lifetime as far as gaming goes.  I've gone through spurts where I'm overly "blah" about most all games I own.  Tons to play and no desire to play them, but this is worse.  In most rut times I will play just for the sake of playing.  I may hop between 3 games within an hour to try and find something that I'm not bored with, but now I just feel no desire to play.

The other night I hoped onto 360 looking to shake things up and even though it was fun to play with the guys I was bored with the game within minutes and ready for something new.

I have at least a dozen games I haven't even touched yet and for a while all I could play was Mass Effect 3 and now I don't even want to play that anymore.

I need a wake up call.  A game to bitch slap me back to what I love about games.  Maybe it's the new, and apparently awesome, Dishonored.  Maybe it's a replay of an old game I loved that's been rereleased with a ton of new content and has a new coat of paint with the updated Rage Engine in Doom 3 BFG or maybe it's going back to Pandora in Borderlands 2.  Possibly it's donning the suit and tie as the greatest and scariest game character of all time in the new Hitman as Agent 47.

I miss the excitement that games used to bring.  Or maybe I'm just getting old.

2 comments:

  1. I hear this big-time. I was thinking about this a little before I posted it, and I thought back to the last time that I enjoyed sitting down playing a game for the games sake... For me, it was the original Splinter Cell. I've obviously played quite a few games since then, but I think I know why I feel the way I do.

    I think it's choice. With so many choices and options out there, I find myself enjoying less and less. Within my immediate area where I am typing this, I can probably count 30 games that were released in the past 6 years. When I was younger and money and time were more valuable commodities, every purchase and chance to play was sacred...

    I still remember the summer I saved enough to buy my own xbox with 2 games (halo and SC). I played the games countless times, just enjoying the ability to interact in the wonderous digital world... It felt very similar to being even younger when my mother would restrict my play and game choice. I've beaten Mario World, Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country, and Star Fox more times than I could count... I don't think those games offered any more intrinsic replay value than this current generation, but my lack of options and sheer joy to play wrapped me up in them. It didn't matter that I knew the ending or where every secret was.

    For what it's worth, Borderlands 2 is one of the few games out right now that I really find myself "pining" to play when I am not playing. The marriage of genres with the ease of playing single player or multiplayer with no interruptions to the session at hand really makes it easy to fall in love with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got done with another playthrough of Resident Evil 4. That's one of the games I can ALWAYS play, no matter what. Maybe you could give that a shot again. One of the best ever and STILL amazing! Playing through 'Separate Ways' now to unlock the Chicago Typewriter.

    ReplyDelete